Always a need for stabilizer & muriatic acid

Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
Been using TFP test kit for several years. No complaints. Been buying calcium, and stabilizer in bulk, on-line for use when needed. Buy muriatic acid from local family pool store, when needed. Use Pool Math to determine how much of what is needed. The past 6 months, or so, weekly readings have indicated a need, in varying amounts, for both muriatic acid and stabilizer. CH readings have held steady at around 400, and pH readings have been steady between 7.2 and 8.2. TA readings have also held steady between 60 and 80. Given the need to add some measure of stabilizer and muriatic acid on a weekly basis, are there are other things I need to pay attention to? Am I missing something? Thanks very much.

There's only two ways stabilizer disappears quickly. One is through bacterial conversion to ammonia, which would cause 0 CYA, 0 FC, high CCs, and high pH. Does your FC hold after you add it?

The other, more likely, cause is that you have a leak. Do you have an autofill? That can disguise a leak.

Reactions: BassPlayingDude
Adding acid sounds normal to me. I have to do the same thing during the course of the season. Do you get a lot of splash out? You can lose CYA that way, also due to pump out after big rainstorms and when backwashing your filter. I don't usually have to add stabilizer weekly.. more like a pound or two once or twice during the pool season.

Last edited:
I am surprised you need to add stabilizer weekly.

Are you adding much fill water weekly?

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

What pH, TA and CYA level are your targets?

Henry, You might want to run a chem panel on your fill water. If you have high CH in the fill water and you have a leak that would account for your CYA dropping and the CH remaining more or less constant. I see you have a SWG.. do you notice your salinity dropping too? That would be more evidence of a leak.

Thanks for the replies from all of you! I do not have autofill, but there has been no dramatic change in water level. It's been several months since I've added any water. My target levels are: pH:7.5; TA: 70; and CYA: 75. I add, on average, about 2 to 3 cups each of acid & stabilizer. FC seems to hold steady at about 5 after I add it. Salinity level also seems to be holding steady, as well. Haven't added any salt in about 8 months. Given my location, is this just the "nature of the beast"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.