alternative ways of adding muriatic acid

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It is hard for me to get close enough to the return in the deep end to add muriatic acid slowly in front of the return jet as recommended on this site. Since I can't slowly add it in front of the return like recommended on here, what is the safest alternative way to add it? If I bought a new gallon plastic pitcher, could I pour the correct amount in the pitcher and pour it around the perimeter of the deep end, on the same side as the deep end return and then brush afterwards, like I do when I apply bleach? If I use that method, should I add water to the pitcher first so it is diluted some when I pour it in? Or would it be safer if I just poured the correct amount from the pitcher or straight from the jug in several places around the deep end and then brush/stir up the water afterwards? I've got asthma, so I use the Klean Strip Green Muriatic acid which is 20% MA and has less fumes but I still need to be careful when using it.

Any return would do. You can also add to the opposite side of the pool of the return. There should still be plenty of flow there too unless it is a very long distance.

Also, if you are adding acid regularly, then you might want to consider a peristaltic pump. Less frequent handling.

Is it safe to add it in front of the shallow end return in a fiberglass pool, even though there are steps right by the return or would it be better to apply it in the deep end as close to the deep end return as I can get or in the deep end on the opposite side and then stir/brush afterwards? Should I add all of it in one place and then stir/brush afterwards or add it in several places? Looks like I'm going to need to start adding acid regularly since I've noticed some calcium scaling, but I'm not ready to invest in a peristaltic pump yet.

Either Location should be fine. Fiberglass is fairly resistant to acid as long as there is some water flow.

You don’t want to handle MA more then necessary transferring it from jug to pitcher.

Just pour it into the deep end and use your pole to stir the water and mix it in.

I studied and contemplated MA-dosing issues extensively. I came up with two solutions. My current solution is an injector pump. I haven't had to handle MA for months. It's luxurious, but also does a much better job of maintaining excellent pH, all day long, every day. Much better than I could do manually, so convenience is not the only perk of these automated systems.

But before that, I had a real issue with pouring in MA slow enough. So I built a gizmo to do it for me, much more slowly than by hand, and without having to stand over it. You could fashion something similar, simpler, from a piece of wood and a plastic measuring cup. Have a look:

Getting ready for SWG - Page 5

Previous posts in that same thread are some other musings about acid distributing, along with comments from others about it. My injector system and my pouring gizmo solved this issue for me. My injector won't work come winter I think, so I'll be resurrecting the pouring gizmo for those few months.

Don't let anyone deter you. MA is bad news, and IMO even little whiffs of it are not OK. There are respirator masks you can use. I have one and use it when I fill up the acid injector storage tank. Along with chemical gloves. I don't mess around with this stuff.

By the way, there is a 14% strength available, usually at Lowes and HD.

Be safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.