Alternative to Hayward Cl series clorinator

Delecron

Nov 3, 2019
Copiague, New York 11726
I've had it. I have. Cl200, my second. No matter how much I baby it, the screw top welds itself on. This year I cracked a pipe trying to get it to move. I've tried lubrication, I got two of those wrenches that both broke. I'm at the point I'd rather just shock it every over day and eliminate the Dang thing.

Does anyone make a better designed chlorinator that doesn't have these problems? I'd pay a fortune not to have to deal with it and yes I've considered salt Water systems but my setup works pretty well for me and I'd rather not change it if I dont have to.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP! If you read up here we promote a method of pool care that uses liquid chlorine and or salt as the base chlorination system because of the CYA buildup that results from tablets. That said, some do use tablets for travel, vacations etc. I did this with my rainbow 320 series before switching to salt. I only did this because my pool came with it. I eventually switched to floating chlorinators since they would work even if I had a pump or power failure. They're dirt cheap and I still keep them in case my salt system were to fail. Maybe this would be a good option for you.

I'd also highly recommend you consider TFP methodology. If you're interested please check these links out:

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

FC/CYA Levels

Also, please click the link below TFP for beginners.

Good luck!

Chris

The Hayward CL200 chlorinator lid is the most over-engineered piece of _____ I've ever come across. I don't have so much a problem with it sticking as it eating O-rings. Pentair make a puck chlorinator but it's a bit more fiddly to install. There are numerous generic CL200-like chlorinators that don't have the 2 piece lid.

I only use my CL200 to chlorinate when I'm away on vacation. The rest of the time, I use liquid bleach - about 1-2 gal per week.

Reactions: Delecron
I have the offline version that has a small flexible tube instead of the stiff PVC pipe. Its great so that when the lid locks on with its death grip, bracing the chlorinator with my foot I can open it with a 24" pipe wrench.

I would assume my style chlorinates much slower, so that might be an issue, but something to think about if you are breaking pipes all the time.

I've had it. I have. Cl200, my second. No matter how much I baby it, the screw top welds itself on. This year I cracked a pipe trying to get it to move. I've tried lubrication, I got two of those wrenches that both broke. I'm at the point I'd rather just shock it every over day and eliminate the Dang thing.

Does anyone make a better designed chlorinator that doesn't have these problems? I'd pay a fortune not to have to deal with it and yes I've considered salt Water systems but my setup works pretty well for me and I'd rather not change it if I dont have to.

Thank you in advance!
I'm curious how much you are tightening past the click point? I had similar issues but found if I only hand-tightened, just past the click, it did not cause any issues. I know it seems too loose but it has worked well for me and the lid o-rings last much longer. I also suggest opening the main basket first to relive any pressure. Similar to others here, I only use CL200 when I am traveling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.