alternative to fafco sunsaver solar coupler

Dan-H

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2011
No. CA
Can anyone recommend an alternative solar panel coupler other than the OEM fafco sunsaver ?

this price seems absurdly high.

I have one leaking. pulled it apart today and found a two splits or cuts on the inside.

It was only leaking when the system was off so I swapped it with one along the top row.

It is probably OK for a while but I would like to replace it.

Last edited:
They must be special for about $20 each for a rubber coupler.

To try and help, look at 2" Fernco couplings. They fit over 2' PVC pipe which is about 2-3/8" OD and they're 3-3/4" long. You can trim them off if they're too long. They'll also expand or squeeze down to adapt to the header.

It seems most of the flexible couplers are not rated for pressure, more for drain usage.

edit: I found a spec sheet on the Fernco coupler and the 2 inch nominal diameter is rated for 4.3 psi

still looking.

edit2: @Bama Rambler I hope I didn't come across as un-appreciative with my response. I appreciate your taking the time to suggest an alternative. The Fernco is in stock at my local home depot so this would have been a great option if the pressure rating was higher.

Last edited:
I found a silicon radiator hose used in racing applications, yet it is rated to 20PSI with a very high heat range, I guess 20psi is a lot for a racing application.

I'm not really sure what pressure the panels are seeing up at the roof but it seems to me I should try to find something that is rated at least to 30 PSI, or be specific to solar panels.

I have no local source for these. My pool installer is not selling any parts right now due to COVID so I will need to schedule a service call if I want them to tackle this.

I wouldn't think that the panels are under much pressure. The highest pressure in pool plumbing is from the pump into the filter, as the filter media limits flow. After the filter, the water can flow freely through the pipes.

@Soupy, You may be right on the pressure, but I don't have a gauge up on my roof. If the filter PSI is 25 when the solar is on, I'm probably incurring a few PSI of pressure at ground level that is less up on the roof. I forget the math. roughly 4 psi per 10 feet vertical?

I found some online from a solar shop in the San Diego area. Hopefully they ship out in a timely manner.

Set of four for $34.73 including tax and shipping.

In the mean time I added a two more clamps to each coupler that is leaking so there are four total. So far it seems to be dry and holding.

I'd post a link to the coupler's I found but I'm not sure if we should be linking to businesses or not ( I need to re-read the rules). I presumed my link to amazon was OK since I was complaining about their price...

Thanks again for the comments.

Yeah, its an old thread but the exact thing Im looking for...

I will be buying a gates two layer reinforced hose:

Rated to 257deg F and 60 psi (Item # 24238)

Amazon has it at $50 for a 36 inch piece, I'll get 10 coupings out of it. $5 each, Razor knife or bandsaw to section....

I'll update when its installed...

1654145085013.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tphaggerty
Hose arrived, perfect replacement.

Also spoke to a regional dealer who told me he was having issues getting parts from FAFCO, and in fact recently he received some couplings from them with a green stripe... when I mentioned what I found, he wanted part numbers immediately. Told him, he pulled it up on Amazon. "Well I'll be..."

He noted that they had tried a heavier wall hose, and it was a bit problematic- too stiff and had issues conforming to and sealing against the raised lip of the fittings.... you could get it over, but when clamping it wasnt a nice clean snug fit.... FWIW

Reactions: Cooldood
Has anyone noticed that the current Fafco panels seem to be 2 inches narrower than the old ones?
I bought a new replacement panel to swap out for a leaking one, and when I went to connect it, I had a 2 inch gap.
I managed to get the couplers to seal by using the minimum overlap on each join, including a few on the adjacent panels, but this is not a long term solution and if another panel needs replacing, I am out of luck. Thinking I need to buy this hose and make longer couplings.
@Adam. , is this hose working well for you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.