Alternative Pool Automation and Sensor/Chemical Control and Integration

I got poolController up and running last month and am working on REM.

Is it recommended to run REM on the same Pi as the poolController or separately?

Also, what is the suggestion for dual body systems? Running REM on another Pi for the 2nd body?

Yes, I did read the documentation. I didn't see a suggestion on whether it was best to run njsPC and REM on separate pis or a single pi. Right now for my test set up, I have njsPC on 1 pi and REM on a separate pi. Just wanted to see if there were any opinions on separating them vs. on the same pi.

The only reference relating to dual bodies that I saw was "My suggestion is that if you have a Pool/Spa combination you should select pool and not dose chemical when the spa is engaged."

I tried to add an additional REM controller under "Chemistry" for the 2nd body, but received "The maximum number of chem controllers have been added to your controller".

You can run the whole thing on a single pi but it will run equally as well on multiple pis. I just checked the i10D configuration and it was set up to only allow 1 chem controller. Pull njsPC as this has been fixed.

Wow! That was fast! I am able to add another REM for the 2nd body now. My other T3 should be here this week, so I’ll update if I have any other issues.

Is there an “official” area dedicated for discussion, questions, requests, etc. for the nPC and REM?

Wow! That was fast! I am able to add another REM for the 2nd body now. My other T3 should be here this week, so I’ll update if I have any other issues.

Is there an “official” area dedicated for discussion, questions, requests, etc. for the nPC and REM?
Matthew, I have learned a great deal about it in here nodejs-poolController/Lobby

Lots of very knowledgeable and eager to help folks there.

This is how I mounted mine. pH on the left and ORP on the right.

View attachment 371724
It's a shame the IPS Complete Flow Cell doesn't come with 3/4" holes.

All I really care about is pH at this point... Tired of manually adding Acid.

I was leaning toward the Pentair intelliph tank and peristaltic pump combo, but now am interested in the

EZO-PMP™ Embedded Dosing Pump.​

Is there a clear advantage of the EZO over the Pentair?

Can REM be setup to inject a set amount of acid into the system daily without a pH probe? I figure maybe I could start with that and build up to a probed feedback.

Last edited:
No it cannot be set up to inject a set amount of acid into the system daily. We thought about that and while it may be the domain of IntelliPh, it is such a short step to pH monitoring and the results are very good.

While the EZO-PMP seemed compelling at first I don't think it is the right choice for the application. It is very accurate but it and its larger cousin the EZO-PMP-L are more suited toward grow operations and aquariums. I do have to say that the Pentair Pump/Tank combo is really well done.

Now as far as 3/4" taps on the IPS I milled mine out with a drill press and tapped it to 3/4"NPT. However, there are several folks using the lab grade probes which fit in the IPS flow cell without modification.
A description on how to tap the cell for 3/4" is in the link below.

Thanks for your reply.

I'll stick to the Pentair solution. I can get it discounted locally so it's good to know that it works well.

I got REM installed and integrated with the pool control dashboard. As I don't have any sensors or pumps I'm just playing virtually now.

Is REM able to control the EasyTouch relays? For example if I want AUX 5 on ET8 to control the 24V relay to power the acid pump, so that pH can be added manually by just pushing the button and then turning it off a few minutes later... can REM also control that relay by backfeeding to nodejs-poolController?

Or is it only able to use GPIO on the pi to control output?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I use it with IntelliCenter, EasyTouch, IntelliTouch or standalone. It can extend your existing panel or act as a slave. It will automatically detect your Pentair panel. If you decide to do pH monitoring and dosing it will dovetail right in.

I figured out how to use "feeds" to backwards control the easy touch features. This is really cool!

The lab grade pH sensor doesn't do temperature. Would I need a separate temp probe or can it be fed the temp from the existing probe in the pool equipment?

Last edited:
When you set up the probe in dashPanel it will ask you whether you want to use EasyTouch water temp for temp compensation. It will then use that temperature for the compensation so you do not need another temp sensor.

Questions moved to GitHub discussions

@MyAZPool

I saw a few years back you discussed using the intellichlor power center's 35-40VDC to power your peristaltic pump.

It still seams to me that would be a simple way to grab 24VDC for the acid pump, using a cheap buck converter. Also it would have the added protection of only being a power source when the filter pump is running.

Last edited:
Questions moved to GitHub discussions

@MyAZPool

I saw a few years back you discussed using the intellichlor power center's 35-40VDC to power your peristaltic pump.

It still seams to me that would be a simple way to grab 24VDC for the acid pump, using a cheap buck converter. Also it would have the added protection of only being a power source when the filter pump is running.

@Telemachus
Actually, I was using the IntelliChlor's transformer to power a regular ole IntellipH, which is the standard practice for those using IntellipH..
However, back in the beginning of 2021, I discontinued my use of the IntellipH system (darn, that reminds me that I still need to remove that ipH controller from the wall adjacent to my equipment pad :p).

Anyway, I switched over to letting njspC/REM control acid dosing based on pH readings obtained from an Atlas Industrial pH probe.
I retained the use of the original Pentair chemical tank and peristaltic pump however and just ditched the ipH controller.
Now I am powering the pump with a MEAN WELL EDR-120-5. 24V, 5-amp, 120W PSU via the following relay card.
- Sequent Microsystems I2C 4-relay (10A/240V) Raspberry Pi Stackable Card.

In addition, @rstrouse really helped me out by suggesting the use of a Snubber Circuit Module and showing me how to connect it all up.
1656873810446.png

If you're interested, I provided further details of all of this in the first post of this thread.
One thing I should note. I can't tell you how effective and trouble free (no pun ;)), that this entire system has been for me over the last 18 months. From the hardware side of it as well as the software applications that really are the heart of it all.
Other than either replenishing acid in the chemical tank or making fine tuned adjustments to my IntelliChlor output level as indicated on either my njspC dashPanel or from looking at my Grafana dashboard, my pool maintenance is about as negligible as I can get it.

Hope that helps a bit.
Have a happy Independence day...
r.

I looked at the connector to my Intellichlor daughter board and the ground pin looks like it gets pretty toasty. I think I'll leave that power board alone.

I found a spot for a DIN rail inside of my Easytouch box. I'll probably go the meanwell transformer route. I plan to power it with one of the open Easytouch8 relays, and it will power the peristaltic pump directly.

As the power supply will be connected directly to the inductive load, not through a relay, I shouldn't need a Snubber.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Reactions: MyAZPool
@MyAZPool Ron…thx for walking me through your pool automation system/control/monitoring yesterday! In person, it is better than the blog. Also once again thanks for documenting this effort so thoroughly…it is a tremendous effort by all involved (yourself, @rstrouse, @tagurit2, @Katodude, @cmc0619, probably some others). If I wasn’t so far along and invested in my personal pool automation journey, nodejs and REM is definitely where I would start a pool automation project…especially without intellicenter.

Last edited:
@MyAZPool Ron…thx for walking me through your pool automation system/control/monitoring yesterday! In person, it is better than the blog. Also once again thanks for documenting this effort so thoroughly…it is a tremendous effort by all involved (yourself, @rstrouse, @tagurit2, @Katodude, @cmc0619, probably some others). If I wasn’t so far along and invested in my personal pool automation journey, nodejs and REM is definitely where I would start to do an pool automation project…especially without intellicenter.
Thanks John,
And thanks for allowing me to show off my toys. It was a pleasure having you over.
Yep, @rstrouse and @tagyoureit get most of the credit for everything. All I did was install the equipment but it's the software/apps that really make it all come alive, so I am very grateful to them as well as @cmc0619 and @Katodude for steering me towards Atlas Scientific and njspC initially. Thanks again all you guys!!!!

Let me know when its time to install the salt cell and I'd be happy to lend a hand if you need it.
r.

Reactions: tagyoureit
Great work @MyAZPool !
I'm designing my own custom controller and have a question: how did you make round cutouts for the fans in your Altelix enclosure? I am a little scared to use a hole saw - don't have anything similar to Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester to try it first...
Yep, it was a Milwaukee 4 1/2" Hole Dozer.
I was a little worried that I would mess up but everything turned out fine.
"Plan & measure 15 times". Cut Once... :p
Thanks..
r.

Reactions: hexabc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support