Jul 7, 2021
Pueblo West, CO
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hey guys,

I started a new method last year that worked exceptionally well. I'm starting to stock this year and I'm having a hard time getting liquid chlorine just like I was last year. We started supplementing and slamming with liquid at 10% and it was amazing.

Is there an alternative to liquid chlorine in tablet form without any addition things in it that add cyanuric or calcium/ cause water cloudiness? Or is liquid chlorine pretty much my only go to..?

There used to be Lithium Hypochlorite, but with the increase in battery production it's been discontinued. Also, it was crazy expensive and hard to find even before it was discontinued.

Calcium Hypo is a good alternative if you in one of those places that have low CH in the water.

I mean not a huge deal per se, just curious because I have a feeling we hay get shorted this year by the looks of incoming deliveries to local stores. Unfortunately none of our pool stores carry it. I just don't want the extra.

We do have to watch calcium here for sure. Biggest reason why I'm using liquid.

Last edited by a moderator:
We started supplementing and slamming with liquid at 10% and it was amazing.
Like you, I have salt, so my chlorine needs are low. What exactly do you mean by the above? I also started supplementing with liquid, but just use household bleach. 1 jug raises my FC by around 3 ppm. I’m interested to hear what you’re doing. Thanks.

Reactions: digidoggie18
Our SWG is a cheap Intex one that has issues. With SWG prices when I was looking (haven't in a while and haven't expected them to lower) it was cheaper to run it and maintain it but supplement chlorine because we were getting algae blooms and cloudy water (supplemented with a product that had calcium and had to drain the pool a bit).

I cleaned out the SWG, started adding liquid to be where I needed to be about 3-4 due to kid load throughout the summer. We slammed once and never had an issue (look up slamming on here if you don't know). We use 10% liquid chlorine for the stability but I can't remember how much I dumped to supplement and I lost my logs with a HDD failure. This year with a new set of SWG electrodes, I'm hoping to not have to do as much work. I'll need a good amount for startup though

Got it. Thanks for that explanation. FYI, after a couple of light algae blooms, I started maintaining FC in the 6-9 range, which is where the bleach comes in. If I drift a little low, I can add a jug of bleach and be right back where I want. I haven’t had any algae issues since I’ve raised my FC range. I also keep phosphates low as added insurance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.