Algea bloom? Initial pool setup help

Thanks so much for all your help so far. I added a quart in front of the return and have both pumps/filters running on filter mode and FP (free pump) for 30 minutes. I'll test again once that is done and start the SLAM process using bleach. Headed to the store now to make sure I have enough like 4 bottles. Thanks

yup - you've got this! I can understand your hesitancy to drain that much water. Consider going through the SLAM process good practice - you'll learn how to take care of that pool, and once balanced you'll get the hang of keeping it that way.

My only advice right now - get more than 4 gallons of chlorine, you'll need it :)

Reactions: chi-chi and AK-
yup - you've got this! I can understand your hesitancy to drain that much water. Consider going through the SLAM process good practice - you'll learn how to take care of that pool, and once balanced you'll get the hang of keeping it that way.

My only advice right now - get more than 4 gallons of chlorine, you'll need it :)
A site full of lifesavers! If you had to guess how many to be safe? Lol my wife was like we have bleach but I knew it wouldn't be enough lol

Once you add 30 ppm of CYA,, your FC level for SLAM will be 12 ppm. One gallon of 10% will get you to that level. Then I would suspect you will use about 3 or 4 gallons per day for several days until the algae is fully eradicated.

A site full of lifesavers! If you had to guess how many to be safe? Lol my wife was like we have bleach but I knew it wouldn't be enough lol
At the bright side with an SWG once you get the water clear you shouldn’t need additional bleach on daily basis . You should still keep some around in case you have an increased bather load or something else that increase the FC consumption.

Reactions: chi-chi
So after adding one quart of the muriatic acid and running the pump and filter for 30+ minutes I tested my PH and I'm still at 8.2 ph. Should I keep adding a quart of muriatic acid at a time and running the filter at 30 min cycles until I reach 7.2?

Also I bought 15 jugs of bleach along with the following chemicals. Anything else that I may need please let me know

Attachments

• 20210628_173227_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    20210628_173227_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Snoobug
I too am going to throw my weight behind the "drain, clean, refill" vs SLAM. Not sure what you pay for water but here in the midwest my 15,000 gallons was $100 (including wastewater charges, would be cheaper if you have a second meter or your city allows a one-time exemption for pool fills). Even if your water is twice what I pay, that's still only $100. If you have similar rates to me and can get a wastewater exception, that could be as little as $25. Drain, clean, refill, done. SLAM will work, but it will likely cost you the same and take a minimum of a week, if not longer. As mentioned, Intex pools are the only pool that can reliably be fully drained and cleaned. Nearly all other types of pools cannot be completely drained like this.

Also in the future if you ever have electrical or plumbing issues that prevent running your pump, you can add liquid chlorine by pouring it around the outside of the pool (to spread it out), then vigorously brushing your pool to mix it in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just realized that after it is done draining and before refilling I have to clean the entire pool.. since I purchased 15 jugs of bleach I guess I'll have to use that. But I now saw a video where someone said to remove and replace the sand in the filter? I don't have to do this or do I? I don't have replacement sand on hand if so.. can someone please advise?

No. Once the water is high enough to run the pump I’d do a good backwash and rinse before starting the filtering. And then probably take the pool to SLAM levels for a day or so. @mknauss thoughts?

Once full get 30 ppm CYA in the water and then raise to SLAM level.
As you had algae in the system, add some bleach while filling. That will take care of any algae that did not get washed out with the drain. Do your best to wash off the walls etc but I would not go crazy. Easier to just add a bottle of bleach while filling.

Reactions: PieterS and chi-chi
The Pool has been cleaned and is currently filling up now. I added a bottle of bleach and it looks like a thunderstorms is approaching guess it will help with filling the pool I guess 😏 here's my plan based on all your suggestions

1) clean pool & pool walls with bleach, drain and vacuum
1.5) tighten skimmer screws
2) fill pool adding a bottle of bleach @ 1/4 full
3) Backwash & Rinse filter (once full)
4) add CYA to filter socks (2lbs or 1lbs per skimmer)
5) Run pump on filter for 24hrs
6) test water

Reactions: AK-
I’d add:
2.5) brush pool after adding bleach to ensure it’s well mixed, just to ensure no “hot spots” of bleach

3.5) once full and filter mixes for 30 minutes, test FC, add more if needed.

Otherwise looks good.

Thanks I poured the bleach around the perimeter and not just in one spot, I neglected to brush it around but hopefully with it raining and the fill hose circulating things there won't be any hot spots. Fingers crossed

Reactions: jseyfert3
I'm starting to get the hang of this. Last question until after I actually test the water but when should I add the pool salt? This is what I've read from other posts but not sure..

1) clean pool & pool walls with bleach, drain and vacuum
1.5) tighten skimmer screws
2) fill pool adding a bottle of bleach @ 1/4 full
3) Backwash & Rinse filters (once full)
3.5) Run filter for 30 minutes
4) add CYA to filter socks (2lbs or 1lbs per skimmer)
5) add salt?
6) Run pump on filter for 24hrs
7) test water

Once you have the water filled and some bleach in it, add the salt. It takes time for it to fully disperse. It has no effect on the other pool chemistry parameters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.