Alge Problem

hello,

I have a AG 24 foot round. Just finished with the overnight loss test and its at 1.5. d

FC-8.5
CC-1
CYA- 65

I have those big 5 gallon jugs of liquid chlorine. I thought I was totally done using those...

fajoza45 said:
How often should I shock the pool.. ? when needed or after heavy bather load.. ?
Have you completed the shock process yet? Have you met the 3 criteria to show that you are done shocking? See the red lines in my sig.

I just want to confirm that we are on the same page here. :)

Butterfly I completed step 2 and 3. Did not do the overnight test. water is crystal clear and CC is 0, but I'm still back at square one as I keep getting what appear to be dead algae at the bottom every morning. I will be conducting the overnight test today again.

Just keep going at this point, with no CC and clear water, it won't be much longer to pass the OCLT. It might be a good idea to add your pool specifics in your signature line so that people inclined to help out will know what kind of pool and equipment you are operating. :)

Please keep in mind though that it is quite common to find dirt/silt on the floor of your sparkly clean pool. I must vacuum every day... I have trees around my pool and an elevated highway close by, my house gets covered in fine dust, so I am assuming it also lands in my pool.

i know its dirt, its real easliy disturbed by any movement of water i vaccum it out every other day. you just probaly should backwash filter out a little more. i notice when i backwash filter i see it way less or if any the next day on bottom of pool atmostpheric dust,living by corn fields, construction sites gravel roads etc nearby you will get this in the pool trust me.......big mike

Hawkeye, At first I was under the impression that it was dirt since it moves in a similar maner, but it continues to reappear every morning when I wake up. I do have one gigantic tree and many others on one side of the pool. I didn't have this problem my previous two years.

Dattia, Thank you for the heads up. It makes sense to add the specifics for others...

If it is algae, the shocking will take care of it as long as you stay with the process. If it turns out to be dirt afterall, you will have to get used to it, I guess. I see you have a sand filter, I have learned here that they take the longest amount of time to filter out small particles. I've had success by adding the DE alternative Fiber Clear to my sand filter. I know that people have also had success by using skimmer socks or even knee high stockings on their skimmer baskets. In my experience, if I don't run a thorough rinse cycle after backwashing, I will get a "poof" of dirty water from my return, very briefly (if I look away for just a second, I will miss it) that will end up on my pool floor when it settles.

Hi,

Haven't posted in a while due to work and other commitments. I'm still having the same issue with the pool. It seems that now its appearing more. These are my pool numbers as of this evening..
FC- 6.5
CC-0
TC-6.5
PH-7.5
T/A-90
CH-80
CYA-55

I'm looking at the shock chart, My FC levels as per SWG manual is suppose to be 3ppm my readings says that its at 6.5. How do I know how much shock I need to add if I have too much chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so my FC does not matter, if I want to shock it the only thing that matters is my CYA. My CYA being around 60 makes my shock level 24? Is my FC too high cause my SWG is running too long or high?

FC does matter very much. You're targeting a particular value of FC, where that value is determined by your CYA.

If you're normally higher than you need to be, then yes you would reduce the setting on the SWG. But until you're done with the shock process to kill off the algae, you need to be getting that FC level up. Worry about whether you can lower it later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.