Algaecide/Chlorine Bleach for fish tank algae?

McDuff

Gold Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
Ft Myers Fla
Thought I'd give you guys a shot at this question, seeing as how ya'll know so much about water chemistry, and have been so helpful in countless other ways.

I have a 180 gallon fish tank bult into a wall, viewable from both sides. It was custom made when I built the house 20 years ago. (Where did that time go?)
Up untill a couple years ago I had fish in it, but now I don't have time for it. The tank by itself is still kind of neat but algae grows in the water and I'm looking for a solution for a maintenance free "Fishless" aquarium.

The question is,; What concentration of chlorine would be sufficient to keep the algae away without damaging the filter pump and hose fittings?

I relize this is probably one of the more rediculous questions asked in TFP forum, but if anyone would like to take a stab at it, I'd be curious to hear what you think.

Thanks!

This certainly is in interesting question. Unfortunately I cant help you.

Whats in the tank now? just water? or is there aquatic plants?

if its just water I would probably drain it and make it into a terrarium just so i didn't have to deal with the water.

I should think you'd do a SLAM on your tank, using 180 gallons as the size of the "pool". You'll have to get in there and scrape the algae off the glass, and remove any rocks or plant to give them a good scrub (well, gentle wipe in the case of the plants, if they're alive). Or get some algae eaters in there to take care of it. Nothing's cuter than a fleet of corydoras cat fish swimming around!

This certainly is in interesting question. Unfortunately I cant help you.

Whats in the tank now? just water? or is there aquatic plants?

if its just water I would probably drain it and make it into a terrarium just so i didn't have to deal with the water.

Hadn't considered a terrarium, hmmmmmmm. Is a terrerium completely maintenance free?

Right now the tank has been drained and cleaned, but I'm reluctant to refill with water until I figure out if what I want to do, can be done. Thanx for the suggestion though.

Hadn't considered a terrarium, hmmmmmmm. Is a terrerium completely maintenance free?

Right now the tank has been drained and cleaned, but I'm reluctant to refill with water until I figure out if what I want to do, can be done. Thanx for the suggestion though.
Not completely maintenance free, but aside from setting it up and watering the plants I don't see how much maintenance could be involved. I don't have one but I've been looking for an excuse to set one up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.