Algae won’t go away

I remember getting test results of 150 CYA and the pool store telling me, "The levels look good! keep shocking and bring a water sample in 2 days.".

I spent a lot of money, and no swimming. Last year, I spent little money and a lot of swimming. We are off to a great start this year again, we started swimming 2 weeks ago and we will go to mid October.

Don't put any other chemical except what you actually need. You need liquid chlorine, acid, sometimes Borax, sometimes Baking soda. Polysquat Algaecide 60, if you are doing a metal treatment.

Pucks are not bad, they are only misused. My stabilizer level is 30 right now. I can use pucks for a week or so and be okay and then switch to liquid. That's why getting your own test kit is important. I know how each chemical will affect the levels of the pool.

Yes, I typically use the pucks in the chlorine floater. I just ordered a kit and it will be here Monday so hopefully by then I have the pool re-leveled and filling up. Is HTH a terrible brand to use for the pucks ?

I was new to this group last summer and have a very similar pool to yours. I used the pucks and granulated shock. After doing all the testing and learning a lot here, I use liquid chlorine bleach and don't even purchase the pucks. I keep a few bags of the granulated shock for emergencies, but stick with daily testing and adding bleach. Just know how to do the match for how many ounces to add.

The Pool Math app works well for that.

Also, add your pool and test kit info to your signature. Helps the experts help you faster instead of waiting for you to get back with information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.