dholmes

Aug 20, 2023
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just recently moved into a house with a pool and I need some advice. When I moved in the pool had a lot of algae. Before I found this site I took my water to Leslie's and they suggested shocking the pool. While this helped a bit it wasn't fully going away which is when I discovered this site. I ordered a TF-Pro test kit and while waiting for it to be delivered my pump started leaking out of the threads of the discharge port. Upon further inspection it looks like the threads had been cut through and the pump housing needs to be replaced. It is an older single speed pump, so I figured if I have to replace the housing I might as well upgrade to a variable speed pump. However he won't be able to repair/upgrade until next week.

My question to you is should I go ahead and start the Slam process even though the pump isn't running? I don't know if I would just wasting the chlorine by fighting a losing battle without a pump, or if is worth to try to keep the algae in check while I wait for the pump to be replaced.

Welcome! Better minds should be along, but in the meantime... I suggest- No. Don't start a SLAM without a functioning filter and pump. While waiting for repair, you could add liquid chlorine and brush the pool to mix. (Staff can elaborate.) :salut:

You need a fully functioning pump and filter to maintain a SLAM.

Suggest you add liquid chlorine -about 5ppm daily for your pool volume

If the delay will be long, suggest you purchase a sump pump from HD or Amazon. Put it in the shallow end, and connect a hose to the exit side and put that in the deep end. That will circulate your LC and any other chemical such as MA that you need to add.

Show picture of the pool to show how green it is. Can you see the bottom?

Reactions: proavia
Until your pump is back in service, it may be best to add 5ppm liquid chlorine to the pool daily. Make sure to brush the pool to help mix the liquid chlorine in. This should help the algae outbreak from getting worse.

You can use a sump pump and a hose to help circulate the pool water.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipmemt (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing heelp specific to your pool without us needing to ask you each time.

Also, download and become familiar with the PoolMath app.
Set the app up to share your logs to your forum account.

Reactions: HermanTX
I have set up my signature. I might go ahead and get a sump pump to help circulate the water some. Attached is a photo of the pool. I can just barely see the bottom of the deep end.

I will do a full test of the water this evening and update PoolMath.

Attachments

• PXL_20230828_210200989.jpg
    PXL_20230828_210200989.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: proavia
Before you get your FC over 10ppm, test your pH and lower it to 7.2-7.4 range as once your FC is over 10ppm the pH test is unreliable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.