Algae Update & SLAM

Jul 15, 2018
Liverpool, NY
Before I started to SLAM, pool was cloudy and algae seemed (LOL keyword) less. First round of bleach cleared the cloudiness algae level was about the same. SFC was at 24 before turning in for the night but by morning had dropped to 11 and lo and behold....a wee bit more algae. Being new to the process, I didn't quite grab enough "extra" containers so it was off to the store when they opened.

I can't say enough how much I am learning. I brought the level back up (27) but it was a gorgeous day so we went for a 3 hr motorcycle ride and of course, when I tested again level had dropped. This time I added a bit too much because an hour later when I tested it was 37 - oops! I figured higher was okay because...it's algae...and I want to kill it. :) So my bad again, we headed out to look at some of the classic cars in town for Syracuse Nationals and were gone for about 2 hrs. Tested when we came home and was still at 37. So I brushed again to loosen up algae. Now I see the importance of checking at regular intervals. Especially in the beginning.

I realized the process is working when I brushed along the "seam/lip" where the bottom of the stairs meets the liner. It had always seemed black, so I had been thinking it was either stained somehow or for whatever reason it was some kind of sealant and was black. (what do I know, right?) I've always brushed over it since opening the pool and nothing has happened which was why I figured it was part of the steps. THIs TiME, when I brushed, this yellowish-brown cloud poofed into the water! Dreaded Algae!!!!! I was shocked, but there was proof that it was dying! YAY!

So this morning, algae in shallow end is minimal, still pretty dark at the seams of the deep end, but nothing on the walls. SFC still high at 34, but we have a cold front moving through with rain forecasted Sunday through Thursday. I'm hoping this wont' throw things off too much. Super windy right now, I may try to brush and vac before the rain comes in. You can be I will diligently be checking my SFC level!

I feel confident that the process is working. The Mr. tends to be impatient. But my hope is that even with the inclement weather, I'd like to get the algae taken care of within the week so once the heat comes back for the weekend we can be swimming! And yes, I am always optimistic. ;-)

Have a good day everyone!

Algae Update & SLAM

Keep at it, sounds like you are on the right track. Don’t stop until you pass all three criteria.

BTW- what is SFC? I’m guessing this is your Free Chlorine?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.