Algae? problem. Going on for a couple of weeks. Can't get any improvement.

bobsmit

Apr 25, 2020
Mid Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I'm at a loss here. I'm not sure what I'm battling with here, but I assume it has to be some type of algae at this point.

Setup:
Coleman Above Ground Pool 22'x52"
Intel Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (26679EG)
Skimmer Installed
Have TF100 on hand

Issue:
2nd year pool owner. Ran into a couple of algae issues last year, but was easily able to clear up the pool by slamming and vacuuming. Now, I'm having some type of build up on the bottom of the pool that I can't seem to get rid of. I've slammed the pool and scrubbed/vacuumed which has always been successful in the past, but this this stuff? just keeps returning. Currently, my TC and FC are around 3 (just came down from a 1.5 week slam). Last vacuum (to waste)/scrub was tuesday evening (48hrs ago). This is what my pool looks like currently. Pool cover has been on the pool for the last 48 hours as well. In person, this stuff is brown in color (almost like sandy dirt). Initially, this stuff wasn't clumped up as much but like an even coating across the bottom of the pool (you can see the in the corner of one of the photos). This stuff kinda clumped up while I was making some working in the pool. I tried to capture some into a skimmer sock briefly, but nothing really accumulated, so I'm not sure if I didn't get a big enough sample or if its passing through the sock. Whenever I go to vacuum or kick it around, it instantly clouds up in the water. The floor nor the sides of the pool feel slick or slimey. The thing that has been throwing me of this whole time is that this stuff seemed to be unaffected by slamming the pool and throughout this entire process the TC/FC are the same leading me to believe this isn't algae.

Can anyone here shed some light on what I'm dealing with and how to get rid of it?

thanks,
Bob

IMG_20210805_200821.jpgIMG_20210805_200907.jpgIMG_20210805_200922.jpgIMG_20210805_200408.jpgIMG_20210805_200410.jpg

That looks like dead algae.
Can you post a complete set of test results? Are you following the SLAM Process? Did you meet all three criteria to end the SLAM? Are you maintaining your FC as shown in the FC/CYA Levels?

FC: 3
CC: 0
Calcium Hardness: 300ppm
Total Alkalinity: 140
CYA: 60
PH: 7.5
CL/BR: 3/6

Yes, I had been maintaining according to the chart. I had also been following the slam process and met all the criteria (Note: Water had always been clear, but with accumulation at bottom of pool. Had brushed and vacuumed the pool to remove accumulation, but it did slowly return and looked identical to how it currently looks)

If this is dead algae, do I just need to keep vacuuming it waste until it completely disappears (I know when vacuuming, it clouds up, but I feel like I should still be getting a majority of it out). Or do I need to go back to the slam process and start over?

Last edited:
Current FC is at the minimum. It is not good to let it get there. Stay at target range.

Follow the SLAM Process
FC is a bit low from me adding lots of water today. Low level from waste vacuuming + a leak. Had to add about 25% total volume of fresh water. I will restart the SLAM process tonight. Appreciate the assistance.

Last edited:
Does your vacuum send the water directly to the filter or does it use a net to collect debris?
Dead algae is best sent directly to the filter to get it out of the pool. Vacuums with bags/nets are just sweepers and don't remove the dead algae nor does it collect in the bag. Algae is too fine and passes thru the net.

My manual vacuum goes directly to the filter. I do also have a robotic vacuum that has its own collector. Quickly realized the robotic vacuum was useless for this job, so I have been using the manual vacuum. Appreciate the tip!

Reactions: mariane
My manual vacuum goes directly to the filter. I do also have a robotic vacuum that has its own collector. Quickly realized the robotic vacuum was useless for this job, so I have been using the manual vacuum. Appreciate the tip!
Great. :thumleft:
Also I don't bother to vacuum to waste since I have a sand filter and it does not clog up. I think DE or cartridge filters would need to be cleaned a lot more often.

Whenever I get the dead algae on the bottom of my pool, I vacuum VERY SLOWLY which also brushes the bottom. I also SLAM until no more algae collects on the bottom. Sometimes I vacuum twice a day if there's a lot of it.

I was just looking at your siggy.
The Intex filters take longer to get thru the SLAM and I guess have to be cleaned more often. Does it have a gauge and can you tell when the psi increases 25%, then backwash? Or is it different?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.