Algae problem and I'm a bit lost

As Bperry said, pH 7.8 is fine. Keep checking it, if you get to 8, then bring it down to maybe 7.6.

But if required you can add liquid chlorine and acid shortly one after each other, as outlined above.

We've been adding a little over 5 ppm a day and the water is looking really clear, best I've seen the pool look. Still waiting on the test kit, should get here Saturday, when we really start the slam process.

But my question is, when we brush and vacuum is there a procedure on how to do it? I.e. brush and wait x time before vacuuming?

I also assume running the Pentair Prowler 920 does not count as brushing and vacuuming for SLAM, correct?

Last edited:
Brush or vacuum, doesn't matter the order but brushing twice a day is what will make the slam work among others but vacuuming need not be unless there lots of debris. I like to let my robotic cleaner run around while slam is happening.

Reactions: Seporah
Brush or vacuum, doesn't matter the order but brushing twice a day is what will make the slam work among others but vacuuming need not be unless there lots of debris. I like to let my robotic cleaner run around while slam is happening.
Thanks, we've been running the robot for 2-6 hours a day but we haven't done any serious brushing until we know we can get the FC levels up. I'm getting a bit hype to do some real work and get starting on the TFP maintenance.

Water is looking perfect, test results looking perfect for SLAM. Fc: 20 ppm ph: 7.8 cya: 50, I didn't do alkalinity or hardness yet, figured I'd get those once SLAM is over.

Date night tonight, so I'll do a OCLT tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice! I feel like I have an idea of what I'm doing now. No more "add one of these a week" and pray.

Reactions: Newdude
During the SLAM Process just stick with testing fc.
For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya as often as possible (multiple times per day is best) until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Reactions: mgtfp
Brush as soon as you can. It's an important part of the process
I've done it twice today and my FIL has been doing it daily since I posted. I'll keep brushing as part of my diving fun.

you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya as often as possible (multiple times per day is best) until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
AND
✅ The water is clear.

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
My OCLT is going to be for fun as I don't expect to pass it this quickly. Now that we have the test kit my plan is to add a little chlorine every hour or two and to scrub it 3-4 times today.

You are done when:

✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
AND
✅ The water is clear.

Finished scrubbing every inch again.

Cc is zero.
Water looks crystal clear.
I'll play with an oclt, expecting to fail, but I think we're getting close.

For the oclt, do I wait until after sunset or it's dark?

Sunset is 8:45 right now and sunrise is 5 am. It doesn't get "dark" until 11 or so.

Is the 5-6 hours enough time lapse to get a good reading?

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've done it twice today and my FIL has been doing it daily since I posted. I'll keep brushing as part of my diving fun.

My OCLT is going to be for fun as I don't expect to pass it this quickly. Now that we have the test kit my plan is to add a little chlorine every hour or two and to scrub it 3-4 times today.
Yes 👍🏻 test fc & replenish to slam level each time
Finished scrubbing every inch again.

Cc is zero.
Water looks crystal clear.
I'll play with an oclt, expecting to fail, but I think we're getting close.
Don’t count yourself out - but don’t rush it.
For the oclt, do I wait until after sunset or it's dark?

Sunset is 8:45 right now and sunrise is 5 am. It doesn't get "dark" until 11 or so.

Is the 5-6 hours enough time lapse to get a good reading?
I like to aim for 30 minutes after sunset & 30 minutes before sunrise just like when hunting 😁 except we’re hunting algae!

• Love
Reactions: wireform and mgtfp
That'd be the smart call. (y)

While 1ppm of loss overnight is a pass, it's a borderline pass. After a heavy use day, I'd be fine with it. At the end of a SLAM on the other hand, I'd be continuing the SLAM because the stakes are high if you need to start over in a few weeks. The end of SLAM takes very little effort to maintain by comparison.

Reactions: mgtfp and Seporah
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.