Algae or not?

ccronje

Dec 12, 2012
Johannesburg, SA
Hi All,

I would appreciate it if anyone can give some advise on how to get rid of these stains on the "grippy" area of my pool steps. It's difficult to see exactly what it is, but to me it appears to be algae growing in tiny holes and crevices in the rough non-slip areas of the steps. It could also be wear and tear on the fibreglass coating, but it doesn't seem to be that when I zoom in on the photos. No amount of brushing seems to have any effect and chlorine levels in the water seems to be good, so I really don't know what else I can try.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thank you

Chris

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

Attachments

• img3.jpg
    img3.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 5
Honestly I don't monitor it that closely...I put some chlorine in every day and just do a strip test once a week or so. I do get a few green patches in the pool now and again and then just brush it off. Not sure what this stuff is though.
This could prove to disclose other issues related to organic staining, but go ahead and try the Vitamin C test. Also consider that here at TFP we base all of our advice on reliable water testing. It's a must. Using either a TF-100 (in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C is the best way to guarantee good testing. Test strips are simply horrible.

Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics for more info.

Hi All,

I would appreciate it if anyone can give some advise on how to get rid of these stains on the "grippy" area of my pool steps. It's difficult to see exactly what it is, but to me it appears to be algae growing in tiny holes and crevices in the rough non-slip areas of the steps. It could also be wear and tear on the fibreglass coating, but it doesn't seem to be that when I zoom in on the photos. No amount of brushing seems to have any effect and chlorine levels in the water seems to be good, so I really don't know what else I can try.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thank you

Chris

View attachment 472598

View attachment 472599
You could sprinkle a bit of calcium hypochlorite (commonly sold a Shock) over the area. If it is organic the chlorine will (should?) bleach it clean. You need cal-hypo, not sodium dichlor. Just be sure to be upwind when it is sprinkled in or it will bleach your clothing, even the dust. If it doesn't work all you have done is add a bit of chlorine to the water and not enough calcium to worry about.

Reactions: bradgray
Honestly I don't monitor it that closely...I put some chlorine in every day and just do a strip test once a week or so. I do get a few green patches in the pool now and again and then just brush it off. Not sure what this stuff is though.

We have a great method of figuring out if you have organics (algae) or not. Btw, algae can be more colors than green.
But You will need an fas/dpd test which comes in the Taylor k2006 or tf100/pro & then you can do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Just wanted to update this thread with some news. When I wanted to buy chlorine recently the brand that I usually buy (HTH) was out of stock, so I got a bottle of a more expensive brand (Poolbrite).

To my surprise, the pool steps were completely clean a few days later.

1018912_7916.jpg

25623_Poolbrite_Month-Mate-Xtra-Blue-2.25kg-1.jpg

Can you post a pic of the ingredients? I can't see it clear enough in the pic of the bottle and unfortunately the company's MSDS is not available online. My guess is there is either trichlor or cal-hypo in that product which is why you saw a favorable reaction on the pool's surface. The downside is you probably added copper to the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The original product is just cal-hypo. Would make the calcium increase a lot over time.

I may have to change my response above since it seems xtrablue doesn’t always mean copper. I found an SDS for Clorox chlorine xtrablue tablets which is just trichlor and boric acid. So maybe Clorox just uses that name for anything extra it adds to trichlor.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.