Algae issues

Tenna1970

Feb 12, 2019
Gulf Breeze
Early in March I turned the solar on so my granddaughter could swim over the weekend. I forgot to remove the solar cover and turn the solar system off before leaving for 10+ days. Upon returning we had storms and high winds for 2 days. The pool was covered with algae. I thought it was just green but after a couple of days I discovered yellow as well. Below are photos of my chemical readings. The last couple of days Ive tried to triple the shock to get rid of the yellow algae, per the instructions to get rid of yellow algae on this site. I wasn’t able to do the morning test today but have an early afternoon reading. I did not see any algae this morning but do have an oily film on the surface. I’m not sure how to proceed. Should I raise the chlorine level again, wait for tonight and the morning readings? Suggestions. Oh, I had added Floc 3 days and tons of brownish/yellow debris was on the bottom of the pool. It decreased each day. I did not add it last night. Suggestions? Below are my readings.

Attachments

• 379B64D8-C075-4A4F-AEE8-4C753A48FBDF.png
    379B64D8-C075-4A4F-AEE8-4C753A48FBDF.png
    45 KB · Views: 13
  • 48AC3B30-A05C-4146-BF48-37D9F8E06B36.png
    48AC3B30-A05C-4146-BF48-37D9F8E06B36.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 45614DA5-BCE9-4F27-B8E5-29FB772F1ADE.png
    45614DA5-BCE9-4F27-B8E5-29FB772F1ADE.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 12
Early in March I turned the solar on so my granddaughter could swim over the weekend. I forgot to remove the solar cover and turn the solar system off before leaving for 10+ days. Upon returning we had storms and high winds for 2 days. The pool was covered with algae. I thought it was just green but after a couple of days I discovered yellow as well. Below are photos of my chemical readings. The last couple of days Ive tried to triple the shock to get rid of the yellow algae, per the instructions to get rid of yellow algae on this site. I wasn’t able to do the morning test today but have an early afternoon reading. I did not see any algae this morning but do have an oily film on the surface. I’m not sure how to proceed. Should I raise the chlorine level again, wait for tonight and the morning readings? Suggestions. Oh, I had added Floc 3 days and tons of brownish/yellow debris was on the bottom of the pool. It decreased each day. I did not add it last night. Suggestions? Below are my readings.
Also, I have sand filter cleaner. Should I wait to use it?

A few notes to help:
1. Remember to follow the SLAM Process page to the letter. That is very important.
2. You shows various CYA results, but let's assume 40 is closest. That means your FC (SLAM level) should be 16 per the FC/CYA Levels. Do your best to maintain that FC level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Don't exceed that FC level or you waste chlorine and run the risk of damaging the liner.
3. Your pH is low for someone who already has an elevated FC level. Take no action on that pH for now, but make sure it doesn't go any lower than 7.0.
4. Yes, water should be going through the sand filter and you should backwash when the filter pressure increases by about 25% from the clean/starting pressure.

Reactions: Tenna1970
Please read the SLAM Process. Complete it to conclusion and the follow the Mustard Algae protocol if necessary. That is only at elevated FC levels above normal SLAM for 24 hours. Right now , with FC level you are showing, your liner is likely being damaged.

Reactions: Tenna1970
The last couple of days Ive tried to triple the shock to get rid of the yellow algae, per the instructions to get rid of yellow algae on this site

, I had added Floc 3 days
None of this came from us.

We would be tickled pink to help you, but you need to put the effort in to properly SLAM.

Shock and flocc is a bunch of crock. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.