Lancaster, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Good morning all - when I closed my above ground pool last year I pulled the aluminum pole and vinyl rung ladder out and there was algae coming out of the bottom. I want to clean it really well prior to putting it back in this spring. Any ideas on the easiest way to do that? Dumping bleach into all parts of the ladder seems overkill but possibly needed. The ladder has been hanging in the garage all winter so I highly doubt there is any active algae in it. As always thanks so much for the suggestions

Ladders are indeed a real issue to contend with. We see it every year. Since water circulation is basically non-existent in those things, some people will either remove the ladder periodically in the season to clean it, or some may even use a turkey baster or syringe to inject a small amount of bleach into those hard to reach places. I think based on their designs it's just an ongoing issue to manage. Maybe if you have a pressure washer you could adjust it to a reasonable level and try to get into some of the tubing and stuff?

Is it filled with sand? Drill a couple of holes in it and get some chlorine inside then find a way to temporarily plug the holes. If the access holes are above the water line you can dose the ladder several times during the summer. You will want to get it sanitized prior to putting back into your pool. Algae has a resting stage and will wait for moisture much like a seed bank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.