Restomod

Apr 11, 2014
Dallas,Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone I have been fighting an algae/black mold bloom for the past 6 weeks. After lots of scrubbing/SLAM, chemistry is great, water is crystal clear and then algae returns with the worst adhering to bottom of pool and the process starts over again. All of this began after a torrential downpour where we received several inches of rain in the matter of a couple hours which overflowed the pool and much runoff/dirt entered the pool.

Swimming with the kids yesterday I noticed a large amount of green/black algae inside the bottom of both pool drains resting on the plumbing. It appears SLAM it is not doing any good of killing it. Any options other than hiring a professional to drain and clean it out? Bottom drain appears to function property when I divert suction only to drain, just hate to drain pool when the chemistry is great and water is clear if not temporarily.

The black center of the drain in the picture below is algae. The dark specks you see is the pebble tec finish, not algae.

Any other options?

20220619_115249.jpg

Last edited:
Have the vac going near when u do the scrubbing as poolstored described to prevent it from going every where. Also squirt some liquid chlorine directly down in there.
Going forward adjust it so there’s some flow at the drains daily. Look into replacing those covers with anti entrapment covers for safety reasons. There are retrofit options to fit most drains.

Reactions: Restomod
Also here’s some info on the black stuff

Can you get the cover off? If so, then scrub scrub scrub and SLAM. Scrubbing will break the biofilm and SLAM will kill it.
I'm just getting out of pool from trying to remove it to no avail. There are no screws holding it in place as you can seen in the pictures, tried to pull with pliers but didn't want to break them.

Have the vac going near when u do the scrubbing as poolstored described to prevent it from going every where. Also squirt some liquid chlorine directly down in there.
Going forward adjust it so there’s some flow at the drains daily. Look into replacing those covers with anti entrapment covers for safety reasons. There are retrofit options to fit most drains.
Thanks, looking like this might be the best option. I cannot get them off (no screws) and may break them in the process trying to remove them.

A power washer may also work through the holes…
Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Reactions: Restomod

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A power washer may also work through the holes…
It was the first thing I tried.....great minds. :D. One drain I was able to get clean, the other is more stubborn. A chunk of debris broke loose and is partially occluding the one drain. I'll have to pick up new covers, get old ones off, clean drain and replace.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.