Algae Confusion

arbrey

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
Chicopee, MA
What I have been reading here is that although all your numbers are great it is still possible to have algae?
Here they are
FC= 6
CC=0
TA=90
CYA=40
According to CYA chart, my FC should be between 5 and 7. I try to maintain the split difference of 6. CC has been 0 since I've opened the pool. However, I get these patches of what looks like green algae to me , along the some of the walls and where bottom of liner meets wall. I brush it and it goes away . I have slammed once this year because of this situation. It's OK now but this has happened twice this year. I might add that the pool really doesn't get that much use. It did when grandchildren were growing up , but now they are all older.

What I have been reading here is that although all your numbers are great it is still possible to have algae?
Here they are
FC= 6
CC=0
TA=90
CYA=40
According to CYA chart, my FC should be between 5 and 7. I try to maintain the split difference of 6. CC has been 0 since I've opened the pool. However, I get these patches of what looks like green algae to me , along the some of the walls and where bottom of liner meets wall. I brush it and it goes away . I have slammed once this year because of this situation. It's OK now but this has happened twice this year. I might add that the pool really doesn't get that much use. It did when grandchildren were growing up , but now they are all older.

Yes, it is possible to have the correct FC levels and get algae. You could have circulation problems which are more typical in AGP's as you likely only have one return. It's possible to get dead spots and stagnant water if circulation isn't strong.

Here they are
FC= 6
CC=0
TA=90
CYA=40

How often do you brush and vacuum?

Here they are
FC= 6
CC=0
TA=90
CYA=40

Arbrey,

Good question and one that perplexed me a lot when I first started. The levels of FC/CYA that TFP prescribe are deadly to algae but even so TFP method requires you to brush weekly... the microbiologist in me questioned the need but any pool owner realizes quickly it's needed.

I did a little research on this and it turns out it's pretty logical. Live algae cells naturally stick to each other and different places on the pool io form clumps that die off on the outside and cells inside are "insulated" from the deadly (to them) FC. So how does live algae exist in a "deadly for them" environment? Even in a well-circulated pool there are micro-environments in corners, curves, flanges, threads that don't get the circulation needed to replenish the FC that gets consumed so algae starts to grow. Once they get a local environment established it can expand. Sometimes just a small dot is all that can establish and other times it can take over an entire grouted joint or other crevice. Brushing easily breaks up the colony and the cells are killed almost instantly. Dead algae doesn't produce the sticky cell wall so the single cells just float around till they are completely oxidized. Bottom line is you need to brush weekly... it's a part of the weekly schedule in Pool School for good reason.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Have the pool for 24 years(had 2 different liners) and used pucks most of the time. Don't remember having this stuff. Brushed once in awhile. Of course will be doing it more often now. Tnks for help

- - - Updated - - -

All of your answers have helped. I will keep a better eye on this and brush a little more often. Tnks to all of you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.