Algae but want to avoid SLAM by replacing water

nina_online

Bronze Supporter
May 31, 2017
Austin, TX
Ugh. My pool is (light) green. I'd like to avoid doing a full-blown SLAM. I'd like a quicker solution, namely to drain and fill much of the water. I'm wondering how much i would need to drain short of 100%. With the seasonal Intex above ground pools, it gets to be a pain once the water gets pretty low.

Any thoughts on what portion of the water I might try replacing in order to avoid a slam?

We replaced 1/4-1/3 of the water TWICE to reduce CYA level, which was at 103.

After adding some Muriatic and Bleach, I am at

Currently:
pH 7.5
TC: 10.5
CC:0.5
CYA: 70
light to medium green

Thanks,
Nina

P.S. This spring the levels were very steady and I had to do almost nothing. I thought it was due to having a solar cover. The pool was also not used much.

Changes since then:
1) We took off the solar cover and mostly kept it off (we do have some light tree cover including tiny flowers from vines that get blown in which the cover prevented from getting into the pool)
2) More pool use, but still only 3-4 times a week
3) The ambient temperature went way up.
4) The pool temperature went way up.
5) I got used to the low maintenance, and wasn't vigilant, combined with daughter's appendectomy, my stomach flu, etc, etc.

Any thoughts? The pool cover prevents organic matter from getting in and prevents UV rays from eating up chlorine, but it will make the pool too hot. I assume it is not used in the summer...?

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings. If you have algae your going to have to conduct a SLAM.

If your happy to drain some more water you can reduce your CYA and subsequent FC SLAM level. I know it sort of sucks, many have been caught out like this before.

The cover can be used over summer. If your feeling that the water is getting too warm then you can leave the cover off overnight and put it back on during the day to protect the chlorine.

Well, 4 days ago, we drained to less than a 1/4" , got busy, and no it is bone dry. Any thoughts as to whether that would have killed the algae? Or should we still do the 10:1 water:bleach scrub of the interior of the vinyl liner? If dead, just brush/scrub the dead algae off without diluted bleach?

When I had a intex AG pool 18x42 I had a issue one spring after letting it go through out the winter. I just drained scrubbed, rinse and repeat. Had it filling back up in about 6 hours. I also removed all through vinyl fittings and hoses and cleaned those as well and let them soak in a bleach mixture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.