Algae bloom less than a week since opening...

Luric

Aug 5, 2015
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We opened last weekend and recently discovered our 1 yr old SWG & automation package is a lemon and wasn't actually producing chlorine the entire time. Add to that our pool openers "balanced the water" at opening by only addressing salt, FC & pH. I've since discovered there is basically no CYA in our water (at 20 I could still faintly make out the black dot). I just added 4 lbs stabilizer to start and was going to retest. Should I add more to start? Keep in mind while we have a salt pool (current level 3100), the SWG is not working so we're manual until that issue gets worked out. I want to SLAM tonight but am not sure what levels I should be aiming for or what charts to follow.

Current CYA is 20 so aim for SLAM level 10?
Target CYA with already-dosed stab. 40 so SLAM 16?
Eventual target CYA level 60 so SLAM 24?

I'm not sure, but I kind of think we've got yellow algae. I first noticed what looked like pollen on the pool steps, but we also are having a reallly bad pollen run over the last few weeks (my daughter & husband are dying). THe wheels on our robot are green but with a yellow tint. I've read yellow is harder to treat, so again I'm not sure what levels to aim for. Help!!

Target CYA at 30 or 40. Use SLAM level [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

You are going to need a minimum of 8# of CYA to get to around 30 ppm.

Start SLAM now assuming the CYA is in the water. Add LC and test / dose every hour or so. When it starts to hold, you can stretch out the time between test / dose.

What happened to the IC60? Do you have and Easytouch? You said you have automation, just curious.

Take care.

Thank! We have no idea what's wrong. The IC60 wasn't registering any salt added (stuck at 2500 which was likely at least somewhat accurate as we had crazy rain & had to lower the pool as it started to flood the yard), then the following day it stopped turning on. Checked fuse and the pool guys tried a few things to no avail. They replaced it with a new one (under warranty) yesterday which only worked/lit up in service mode and even then triggered the flow light but not the cell or % lights. The tech tried a few things, nothing worked, so now we're waiting for the company owner (who did initial install himself last year) to troubleshoot with Pentair and go from there. We'd had issues with ScreenLogic not acccuaretly reflecting what the pool was doing (pump on, heater flipping on, etc) last year not chalked it up to a learning curve on our part. Turns out it may not be our fault!

OK. So you have an Easytouch with Screenlogic. Can you add that to your signature.

The Easytouch must be running in Pool mode for the SWCG to power on. In fact, it will not work in Service mode. If that is not true, then it is not properly wired to the Easytouch.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.