Algae and Normal TA?

Mandikidder

Mar 18, 2023
Carencro, la
So, I just had my water tested, as I have been fighting algae for quite some time. (couple weeks) THe pool store said my TA is 92 which is considered low. THey recommended adding 9 lbs of baking soda. My ph is 7.6. I have a vinyl pool. I see on here it says 90 is max. for TA. I'm now confused. We have had a lot of rain in the last week. My chlorine is very high. I've been shocking on a regular basis trying to get rid of the algae. Should I add this much baking soda??

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Problem #1 - the pool store. Stay away. Item #2 - test your own water. With the right test kit, it's easy! 100% more reliable, and the chemicals we recommend are easily accessible and usually cheaper.

So start by getting yourself a TF-Series test kit (or Taylor K-2006C). See my signature. For algae, follow our SLAM Process. You must have one of those test kits to follow that process, but it works. At this point, do nothing but add some liquid chlorine to the pool each day. Nothing else until we can confirm good numbers. We'll get you through this.

Also see ------> Pool Care Basics

Reactions: newdude
Also, I see you posted this to the Spa & Hot Tubs forum, but you are referring to your pool correct? As such, I'll move this discussion to the appropriate forum to avoid confusion. :goodjob:
Ah, didn't realize I posted in the wrong forum! It is a vinyl pool. My chlorine is really high. 14.2 according to the pool place. I have a Taylor K-1005 testing kit. I usually do test my own water. I've just been fighting to get rid of this algae for so long. Is it necessary to always vacuum to waste when removing dead algae? I have not not this. I vacuum then backwash. I had been adding chlorine every day for a week and still algae. It looks dead (settled on the bottom of the pool every day) And I did vacuum to waste a couple times, but I now have more algae (dead I think) and the pool is full of water bugs. Which means there is food for them? I am using powdered chlorine. Calcium Hypo, 68%

You can vacuum to the filter and backwash when the pressure increases by about 25%. Dead algae should look sort of off white or gray. Accurate FC testing is extremely important. Just be mindful of that so that you don't waste time or chlorine.

First of all, high TA is completely unrelated to any algae..........repeating Texas Splash' advice that you stay out of the pool store.

So, the first step we will ask you is to read Pool Care Basics Archives

That get's you started on some basics.

Then, you will see that we get rid (permanently) of algae with a SLAM process. It requires VERY high (but safe) levels of chlorine and the SLAM process teaches you how ro use it carefully in your pool.

To do this SLAM process correctly, you will need one of these Swimming Pool Test Kits Compared

That's a lot to absorb all at once so we'll let you decide if you are ready to get that involved. We'll certainly help you all the way.

We're all pool owners and you can read hundreds of success stories here.

Reactions: newdude