treyragno

Oct 21, 2017
Corpus Christi, TX, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool has suffered from high CYA since we moved in. Prior to a test kit, Leslie’s showed it 150+

We drained 1/3 of pool 3 times in past months.

We don’t use tablets but liquid chlorine instead.

Pool pump broke and finally replaced.

We want to slam but can’t do it as CYA shows 100. Can CYA hide anywhere and my draining efforts have been pointless?

TA is 100
FC is 6
CC is 1
TC is 7
CYA is around 100

We use the pro kit.

Are we doing something wrong?
Pool is insanely green due to pump outage but kept some chlorine in it and brushed while submersible pump ran.

I am at my wits end.

It’s not that you’re gaining CYA, it’s that you had way more to start. CYA test tops out at 100. Dilute pool water by half with tap water and re-test. Your CYA could easily be higher than 100.

You should look into the no drain exchange. Every time you drained 1/3, you only diluted the water. It’s best to go for completely ridding the problem water once and for all.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Here u go 👇 step 8
&
Okay…. I’m back.
I am doing a water exchange. The overwhelming majority of water was removed from pool and used the tarp exchange method.

It is still topping up and water is still green, which we suspect is due to how green it was.

While topping up the water i added some 10% shock (liquid) and some muriatic acid as my pH was high. I know that is being diluted.

My chlorine was 0.5 and i estimate 3,000 more gallons of water to be added. CYA was immeasurable but will check again when it is topped up completely.

What do I need to be doing while it finishes filling, and getting this algae to go away and have a useful pool again?

Keep your pump circulating water to mix it well. Test your CYA tomorrow.
Add sufficient LC tonight to raise your FC to 5ppm Based on total pool volume.
Test again tomorrow.

Test again tomorrow.
Will report back tomorrow with a full slate of tests.

I will wake up in the night to start the pool pump as soon as it reaches a sufficient level.

Test again tomorrow.
Good morning.

Here are results of latest tests.
Ph - 7.8-8.2 (looks right in between like 8ish)
Chlorine - >5
Free chlorine - 6
Combined chloramines - 0.5
Total chlorine - 6.5
Calcium hardness - 250/275
Total alkalinity- 120
CYA - <30

What are my next steps as water is cloudy with green (left over from water I couldn’t get out I suppose)?

Pump is running straight through since 4am
Brushed pool last night. Will brush again this morning.
We do not have a vacuum to waste option at this time. We have a cartridge filter which we can power wash as required. Plan to install 3-way valve later for vacuum to waste option but that won’t be this week.

Is the cya test cloudy at all?
You want about 30ppm cya to do the SLAM Process but I suspect you have some cya now.
Add 10ppm worth of dry stabilizer/cya via the sock method. (Add it to a sock & hang it infront of a running return, squeeze the sock regularly to dissolve the cya)
Lower ph to 7.2
Begin SLAM Process with liquid chlorine.
Assume 30 ppm cya until you can test again tomorrow after the cya addition has fully mixed.
So Slam level fc for cya of 30 is 12ppm.
FC/CYA Levels
Stick with only the fas/dpd (fc & cc) test once slam begins.
No need for ph, cc, ta or OTO testing
or cya once you confirm where your addition of cya landed you & you can adjust fc accordingly.
For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria- replenishing fc multiple times per day is best, the more often you test & replenish fc the faster the process will go.

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Reactions: HermanTX
In addition to what @Mdragger88 stated above, note your current pressure of filter at current pump speed as your baseline filter pressure. Monitor that as you go through the SLAM process. If it increases 20-25% above your baseline then clean your filter, then continue with SLAM. Important to have your pump run 24/7 throughout SLAM and also test your FC (using the powder & drops) every 3-5 hrs during the day if possible and top up your chlorine level to the 12ppm using liquid chlorine.

You may want to post a picture of your pool in current state and then provide some updates as the SLAM progresses.

You want about 30ppm cya to do the SLAM Process but I suspect you have some cya now.
Add 10ppm worth of dry stabilizer/cya via the sock method. (Add it to a sock & hang it infront of a running return, squeeze the sock regularly to dissolve the cya)
Lower ph to 7.2
Assume 30 ppm cya until you can test again tomorrow after the cya addition has fully mixed.
FC/CYA Levels
or cya once you confirm where your addition of cya landed you & you can adjust fc accordingly.
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria- replenishing fc multiple times per day is best, the more often you test & replenish fc the faster the process will go.

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
AND
the water is clear.

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)

- CYA was not cloudy.
- we are adding muriatic as per calculator to bring pH to 7.2

- for dry stabilizer can i use stabilized chlorine tablet that we already have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
for dry stabilizer can i use stabilized chlorine tablet that we already have?
You can, but it will be a bit slower. If you are looking to reach a CYA of 30 (now) to begin a SLAM Process, you might use some granular stabilizer now, then use tabs later once the SLAM is complete.

Lower ph to 7.2
FC/CYA Levels

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
AND
the water is clear.

Why is the chlorine target 12? I see
Lower ph to 7.2
FC/CYA Levels

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
AND
the water is clear.

Why such high FC f or 30ppm CYA? Chart shows much lower requirement

Can I crush the tablet to speed up the absorption?
Trichlor tabs are acidic so using the amount you would need to increase cya to 30ppm would drastically lower your ph. Crushing them is not advised as you risk them falling through the floater & getting on the surface of the pool which can cause damage & it would still take them quite some time to fully dissolve.
Using granular cya via the sock method puts the cya directly in the bulk of the water in a matter of hours.
Without cya the sun will consume your chlorine very quickly so you will not only be fighting to maintain fc because of the algae but the sun also.

Can I crush the tablet to speed up the absorption?
Tablets have very low erosion rate plus it has acid that will lower pH even further and add chlorine.
You want 100% CYA
see link to Home Depot

Tablets have very low erosion rate plus it has acid that will lower pH even further and add chlorine.
You want 100% CYA
see link to Home Depot
Here is a photo of where things are visually.

Attachments

• FAECCAE3-E843-4BDE-9A70-382E29F49F65.jpeg
    FAECCAE3-E843-4BDE-9A70-382E29F49F65.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 38DA871E-BABE-4800-A983-512229843EDB.jpeg
    38DA871E-BABE-4800-A983-512229843EDB.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 6
Here is a photo of where things are visually.
Maintain the proper SLAM FC level and continue to brush the pool to keep all the surfaces clean to expose them to chlorine and you'll have crystal clear water before you know it.

Maintain the proper SLAM FC level and continue to brush the pool to keep all the surfaces clean to expose them to chlorine and you'll have crystal clear water before you know it.

We have made progress.

Slowly working to get CYA up as we had virtually none. Pool is clear but my wife was reluctant to maintain the high FC so I am worried we have algae hiding but can’t see it.

Will get CYA to 30-40 and run OCLT to help give some insight.

Water appears crystal clear. We are below SLAM level today and trying to adjust CYA, pH, and TA first. CH adjustments to follow.

Is this approach ok?

Slowly working to get CYA up as we had virtually none. Pool is clear but my wife was reluctant to maintain the high FC so I am worried we have algae hiding but can’t see it.
The higher the CYA the higher the FC is required. CYA of 40 requires a FC of 16ppm. It is safe to swim up to max FC for SLAM level. The better you can maintain FC at SLAM level the quicker the process to clear the algae.

pH at elevated FC levels (above 10ppm) are not valid. You can adjust CH and TA after SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.