Algae aftermath

Thanks for the pool math link. Haven't seen that one yet.

The reading was outside the range of the test kit, which measured for ideal ranges. The instructions said to count the drops needed to get into ideal range, which I did. Didn't give me a ph number but their magic book instead gave a recommendation.

Please don't bother with pH test if your FC is > 10 ppm, it produces invalid results.

IMHO, that CYA reading is to high. It should be at or around 50ppm, but that is just my experience. Mine got a little to high, and that's when I really started struggling with the cloudy and sometimes emerald water.

You wouldn't have to drain it, it just raises your chlorine demand, so keep that CYA/Chlorine deman chart inside your test kit.

Think of cya as a chlorine retarder, it retains an amount of it for later use. Preventing evaporation is really a side-effect. I've just always used 50ppm as my baseline.

Update: as of this morning I am very close to passing the three tests. Water is very clear. Loss of 1.4FC overnight, 0.6CC, but the water is just about crystal clear. I'm going to go ahead and leave the FC high for the one more day and I should be good to go by tomorrow.

Once the FC levels fall back under 10 I will retest Ph. Assuming it's out of whack what's the best stuff to use to raise or lower it? Someone previously mentioned soda ash to raise PH? I see pool math mentions it as well, and muratic acid to lower the Ph? Is this stuff I can get a grocery store, or Walmart?

This is a set of links I put together to help new pool owners. It is a lot of info. BUT so worth the time to read and look over. The recommended chemicals one will help your above question. The other may help with any future questions.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: as of this morning I am very close to passing the three tests. Water is very clear. Loss of 1.4FC overnight, 0.6CC, but the water is just about crystal clear. I'm going to go ahead and leave the FC high for the one more day and I should be good to go by tomorrow.

Once the FC levels fall back under 10 I will retest Ph. Assuming it's out of whack what's the best stuff to use to raise or lower it? Someone previously mentioned soda ash to raise PH? I see pool math mentions it as well, and muratic acid to lower the Ph? Is this stuff I can get a grocery store, or Walmart?

Congrats, you're almost there! The rest is easier and what's important- slower, you'll figure it out very soon. I wouldn't assume anything- just test it and then post results here if you'd still have questions.

So another update... I have ended the SLAM process, and have been crystal clear the past few days. Once my FC level went below 10ppm I retested the PH and sure enough it was right at 7.4. So it seems the PH readings were thrown off when FC was at SLAM levels and I didn't end up needing the borax after all. Last night we had a big thunderstorm so I am curious to see what that did to my levels. Will test when I get home this afternoon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.