TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So in the past week I was tagged in a post. Got the alert for it as normal under the bell icon. I didn't reply as I was on my phone. Yesterday when I was finally on my computer and ready to reply, I opened my alerts and looked at the new new alerts. I clicked "show all" and...the page that would normally have all my past alerts only showed the two alerts.

How did my alerts get wiped, and how can I access them so I can find the post I was tagged in?

I’m going to suspect the alert was marked as read. In this case the software automatically deletes read alerts after XYZ days (can’t remember the exact number) to keep things flowing along and save space. I’m guessing you viewed the alert which marked it as read, went away for a few days, and the alert was removed automatically.

Also, Alerts that highlight someone tagging your response with the Like button automatically change to Read after you click on the Bell icon whether or not if you click on the alert itself.

The alert was marked as read automatically. I manually marked it as unread so I would be reminded later. I suppose it may have been auto marked as read later on.

I’m going to suspect the alert was marked as read. In this case the software automatically deletes read alerts after XYZ days (can’t remember the exact number) to keep things flowing along and save space. I’m guessing you viewed the alert which marked it as read, went away for a few days, and the alert was removed automatically.
It just seemed I used to have more alerts saved. This was no more than a week, I thought in past I could see alerts a lot longer back than that. Perhaps one of the updates changed the default number of days they are saved.

Perhaps one of the updates changed the default number of days they are saved.
We’ve done very little to nothing behind the scenes for the last 3-4 months with the updates only touching the “theme” of the forum. None of the XenForo settings would have been altered there. Just peaked also at the exact setting and read alerts are automatically deleted after 4 days.

I wonder whether this user preference would restore the missing alerts?
View attachment 389810

From time to time we’ll post messages pertaining to events on the forum, most frequently announcing downtime on the site. Often these messages can be dismissed so the message isn’t in your face annoying the user. If the user did close the message, selecting that option restore the message.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
I noticed i am also not getting some notifications in the past couple days for posts that i have commented on & am following 🤷‍♀️

I noticed i am also not getting some notifications in the past couple days for posts that i have commented on & am following 🤷‍♀️
Alerts seem to be the largest source of confusion with the current software. I’ve seen enough reports of alerts not getting sent that I do personally believe there’s an issue, but I’ve never been able to recreate the issue at all. In addition there’s no tools built into the software that allows me to track items to make sure they’re working correctly.

This all said, I do have some hope for the future things will change………
The software TFP uses for the forum has by default an option for websites to send Push Notification using the end users web browser. For the most part every major browser supports various API’s that allows users to get notifications directly on their device without even opening the website. If we can get this working on TFP I suspect the alert system will be altered greatly as most notifications will be handled right on your device. There’s one HUGE catch however, and that’s the fact that the most commonly used browser members of TFP use to surf the forum doesn’t support the API’s that are needed for this feature. Safari at the time of this post does NOT support notifications any other way besides those that are served via an App.

But there’s hope………
In the latest beta version of iOS there’s a hidden setting tucked away that does enable the Push API. While it maybe a long shot, there is hope push notifications (alerts) may eventually be able to go right to your device, and you won’t even need to open TFP to see that you’ve got some new content to view. 🤞🤞🤞

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alerts seem to be the largest source of confusion with the current software. I’ve seen enough reports of alerts not getting sent that I do personally believe there’s an issue, but I’ve never been able to recreate the issue at all. In addition there’s no tools built into the software that allows me to track items to make sure they’re working correctly.

This all said, I do have some hope for the future things will change………
The software TFP uses for the forum has by default an option for websites to send Push Notification using the end users web browser. For the most part every major browser supports various API’s that allows users to get notifications directly on their device without even opening the website. If we can get this working on TFP I suspect the alert system will be altered greatly as most notifications will be handled right on your device. There’s one HUGE catch however, and that’s the fact that the most commonly used browser members of TFP use to surf the forum doesn’t support the API’s that are needed for this feature. Safari at the time of this post does NOT support notifications any other way besides those that are served via an App.

But there’s hope………
In the latest beta version of iOS there’s a hidden setting tucked away that does enable the Push API. While it maybe a long shot, there is hope push notifications (alerts) may eventually be able to go right to your device, and you won’t even need to open TFP to see that you’ve got some new content to view. 🤞🤞🤞

Patiently awaiting the future!
The notifications thing seems totally random. One post notifies & the next doesn’t. I stumble upon a thread in the feed & recognize it & realize there are replies I haven’t seen or been notified of. I feel bad when it seems I haven’t responded in a timely fashion but everyone here is always great about carrying on & helping folks out.
I wonder if i have some setting messed up? Maybe its my million tfp tabs open 🤣I will clear my cache & log out/in again. Fwiw I try to keep 1 tab that i use to converse/ refresh for notifications & I almost never close it. The others are for research/ copy & paste purposes & i have been trying to close them out as i go as to not tax the matrix . I am sure jumping back & forth when logged in may kink things up a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.