Air in the lines...

Jul 13, 2007
I normally run my 3/4 hp pump around 14 hours a day for my 24K gallon pool...sometimes more or less depending on conditions. Lately I've been having issues with the pump restarting after it's been shut down over night. The body of the pump is empty of water and the pump struggles to prime itself and get going. Over a week's time, It has struggled about 4 days and it's been fine the other 3. I thought it might be related to the pool level getting too low but the last few days the water level has been up. This morning I went out early and the basket had no water so clearly the water is going somewhere and that gives me a bad feeling! I've never had this issue in the past and was wondering if someone might have any ideas about why this is happening. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you may have an air leak somewhere. Once the system shuts down, air gets sucked IN through a tiny spot and water moves elsewhere - probably back to the pool. So I would start by looking very closely at all pipes, fitting, seals, etc at the equipment pad. Pay close attention to valves and even the pressure gauge on the filter.

So I would start by looking very closely at all pipes, fitting, seals, etc at the equipment pad.
Try to listen for leaks as well. If you have lots of background noise, this may be challenging. I found my last leak (in my filter air relief valve) by placing my ear next to my filter. You should be able to hear the pressure side leaking down with the pump off.

Thanks....I'll start with the easy stuff on the equipment pad (pump lid and drain o-rings). Pressure gauge on the pump could be the issue since it hasn't worked for years and hasn't had any attention at all. As far as listening, my wife is the one with the bionic ears so I may have to get her to help. Thanks guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.