Air in the filter

Jul 22, 2015
Lancaster, PA
Thank you guys for all the help
Over the years.

I am back for another advice. Recently I have noticed every morning when I turn pump on there is a lot of air coming out of return for the first minute or so and then no more bubbles. No bubbles in the pump. I also have to empty air from the DE filter ( via relief valve). I do not see any water coming out of any of the plumbing. I suspect it might be multi port issue ( it is very hard to turn and handle is very loose).
Am I on the right track? What else should I look in multiport issues besides gasket?

I can try to replace multi port gasket but wanted to check here before starting new project.

Thank you again

Attachments

• D9043798-1E75-4663-8591-FDE50C798514.jpeg
    D9043798-1E75-4663-8591-FDE50C798514.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If you have no bubbles after the pump startup I don't see you have a problem.

If your MPV needs a new gasket that is a different problem.

Does your pump basket or filter drain when the pump is off? How long does it take for your pump to prime when turned on? You may have a bit of an air leak depressurizing the system when the pump is off. Could be anywhere. If you don;t see water spurting out as you turn on the pump it may be hard to find.

Does your pump basket or filter drain when the pump is off? How long does it take for your pump to prime when turned on? You may have a bit of an air leak depressurizing the system when the pump is off. Could be anywhere. If you don;t see water spurting out as you turn on the pump it may be hard to find.

Thanks for getting back to me.
The pump doesn’t drain. I am not sure about the filter but I presume water gets displaced since I can release air through relief valve. I am getting new O rings for my filter and relief valve.
It just surprises me because initially it is large amount of air that is coming from returns and then slows down and disappears. Nothing is squirting water, it is just strange. There is only 4 things that can hold good amount of air before pipe dive underground - chlorinated, heater multi port and filter. Can’t be heater. Chlorinator possible but would not cause air in the filter
Left with multi port or filter/ relief valve itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.