air in system after filter change?

cjm005

Dec 28, 2017
Cypress, TX
Finally was able to pull the filters (regular Hayward) and clean them. Since I put back together, I can't seem to get the air out of the system and it sounds like the pump is changing speed ... to the point where occasionally the waterfall will stop running because the pressure drops, then it will come back on, repeat, etc.. I pulled the top back off the filter and tried the start procedure again ... open the relief valve, start the pump, try and let it bleed until water comes out steady. Water will come out steady for 15-30 seconds, then it starts spitting air again.... I let it go for 4-5 minutes and it never did improve. When I run on SPA mode, seems to work fine, same with low speed on the pump.. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Better description ... it seems like there is also air in the "basket" in front of the pump if that helps.

Your pool water level may be low. Make sure your pool water level is at least half way up the skimmer opening.

And be sure the weir door (skimmer flap) operates freely - isn't stuck and moves with no binding.

Check the lid to the pump basket to be sure it is on tightly and that the gasket is in place. I use a rubber mallet on mine and also lube the gasket for a good seal. Check anything else you took apart during the cleaning process too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.