Air compressor loses pressure

LukeG

Jan 21, 2022
Lansing, MI
I get the pressure in my compressor up, then I connect it to the pump using a 1/4inch quick-connect coupling (just as I did last year). As soon as I do this, the pressure in the compressor starts falling to zero and I see no air coming out anywhere in the pool. Need some ideas.

what kind of compressor is it? Pictures of the setup might help. is your compressor working properly? Is the tank filling up?

Compressors really aren’t that great for blowing out pool lines. Usually you want high flow rate and volume at low pressure so as to not damage the plumbing. Air blowers work better.

It’s a Porter Cable compressor.

The hose is connected to the compressor on one end, and to the bottom of the pump on the other end. The main drain is shut off. The filter is on re-circulate. This means air should be flowing through the skimmer, and also bypassing the filter to get to the three jets.

I have never used an air blower before. Do they connect to the pump the same way this compressor would?2B03F2A4-489B-40F9-8C52-E91BCAE31C40.jpeg98F284F9-9C47-4569-99EF-379C07AC0844.jpeg

Pancake compressors rarely work, but if it did the trick last year, something must be different this year. Try adjusting the regulator knob all the way down. Let the compressor run for a while to charge and then let it rip.

If you have anywhere the air can escape besides the returns, it won't take much to stop it from working.

Tell me more about these air blowers
They have a 2 inch (?) discharge and a shop vac like hose to connect to the plumbing. It throws crazy CFM and spouts geysers out the other end.

I used my backpack leafblower for a similar effect. I moved and sold the blower, i'm going to try duct taping a hand held gas leaf blower to the pipes this year.

Using the exhaust port of a large shop vac will probably do the trick as well.

It’s a Porter Cable compressor.

The hose is connected to the compressor on one end, and to the bottom of the pump on the other end. The main drain is shut off. The filter is on re-circulate. This means air should be flowing through the skimmer, and also bypassing the filter to get to the three jets.

I have never used an air blower before. Do they connect to the pump the same way this compressor would?View attachment 456146View attachment 456147
That does not look like it would work at all … air will always flow through the path of least resistance. If you pressurize the pump basket air is going to go to the skimmer and the returns. Whichever one opens up first will win all the air. Plus that compressor is pretty small. Only about 6 gallons of compressed air. It’s going to bottom out before the lines are clear unless the plumbing runs are short.

I do have a shopvac. I’m not sure how to connect it to the pump. Or maybe it connects to the system some other way?

Not sure why the compressor worked last year unless the compressor is broken.

If there’s a 3 way valve somewhere you can open it up (take it apart) and then fit together some rubberized tubing to make a tight connection between the inside pipe and the air hose. Ot might take a little bit of McGuyver’ing but it can be done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure why the compressor worked last year unless the compressor is broken.
It likely worked just enough to make you think it worked, when it really didn't.

I do have a shopvac. I’m not sure how to connect it to the pump. Or maybe it connects to the system some other way?
Unplug the pump and hold the shov vac hose here (with it blowing)
Screenshot_20221001-174230_Chrome.jpg

Blow with the valve set to the main drain if you have one, for 30 or so seconds, then switch to the skimmer side to air lock the drains and blow until water stops coming out at the pool. On the drain side, you won't see anything happen but you only have to push the pipe water down below the frost line, it doesn't have to be empty. If the valve is for two skimmer lines, blow one at a time.

Then find a similar way to blow towards the returns.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.