Air bubbles after capping return?

Apr 12, 2015
IL
I just attempted to winterize and close my pool for the first time without paying the pool company $400.

I think, as is probably normal, I am really worried that I did it correctly. I live in Central Illinois--and last winter we had record cold of -30 degrees for a few days.

I have two return lines by the stair, two return lines in the deep end. I have two skimmers and one main drain.

I have an automatic pool cover that keeps water out.
I drained the water to a couple of inches below the skimmers.
I used a pancake air compressor to blow air using both my pump drain and the sand filter drain. Using the air compressor hooked up to the pump and sand filter drain and a combination of the valves on my filter and plumbing I am assuming I was able to most of the water out of the pipes.
I used a combination of the compressor and a shop-vack as suction from the skimmer baskets.
I ended up using RV anti-freeze only in the skimmers lines as it was easy for me to pour it in those lines.
I was not able to get anti-freeze into the return lines as they were pressure locked.

On top of any normal worries I have as a result of this process, while blowing out one of the return lines--I noticed a bit of bubbles coming out after the return was capped. I removed the cap and re-applied the plumbers tape around the threading and then capped the return line. However, a small(er) amount of air bubble continued coming through. Once I turned off the air compressor, the bubbles ceased.

How much of a concern is this? I couldn't tell what the cause of the bubbles was--could it be the housing I am screwing the cap into? The cap itself? I don't know if anyone can give me a proper answer--but maybe just some guidance could help?

Thanks!

I don't know what sort of cap you use since I use tapered rubber plugs. Does the cap you are using have an O ring?

Are the return lines locked by valves at the equipment pad? If so that should prevent much water leakage in through the cap.

If air can get out, water may get in over the winter, so it’s a real concern. I have to take the faceplate off one of my returns and use an O-ring behind it to get it to seal.

Plugs usually leak when not flush with the returns. I use goggles and poke my head underwater for this reason. A few turns and the plugs should seal. If not, remove and throw out and use new ones. I also ordered smaller winter plugs that sit deep in the return flush against the PVC with no threads. A few turns and you are done. I have returns in the steps which have never given me a problem (#11), and the #10 sometimes leak in the 6 regular returns. The smallest imperfection in the black rubber and they leak, so a new one should be used. If not try the # 8 plugs. Please see my link under Winter Return Closing Plugs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.