Ahhsome - still some foam after drain and refill

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
I was finally able to purge for the first time with Ahhsome as the weather warmed up for the first time since we got the new tub at the end of February.

During the purge I ran the tub jets on high for an hour and got TONS of foam (overflowing). I did get some green scum around the edges but not a ton. Enough to make me feel like it worked well. I think I may have used a bit too much Ahhsome as I had so much foam.

I then drained the tub, wiped it and cleaned it completely, shop vac’d etc.

I filled the tub and turned the jets on. When the high jets came on there was some “soapy foam”. They looked like bubbles. Is this some extra Ahhsome that remained in? Do I need to drain and refill again?

I was finally able to purge for the first time with Ahhsome as the weather warmed up for the first time since we got the new tub at the end of February.

During the purge I ran the tub jets on high for an hour and got TONS of foam (overflowing). I did get some green scum around the edges but not a ton. Enough to make me feel like it worked well. I think I may have used a bit too much Ahhsome as I had so much foam.

I then drained the tub, wiped it and cleaned it completely, shop vac’d etc.

I filled the tub and turned the jets on. When the high jets came on there was some “soapy foam”. They looked like bubbles. Is this some extra Ahhsome that remained in? Do I need to drain and refill again?
Yes drain and refill again to clear out the Ahhsome. They recommend that. Sometimes I’ve even seen more congealed stuff release with the first fresh water rinse.

Reactions: Newdude
Did you shop vac all the jets/intakes, or just the tub floor ? There can be a good deal of water in the plumbing. I would fill mine to the intake covers and stick the hose down the filter inlet and turn on the tub for a few seconds to get fresh water in the plumbing. Then drain and shop vac the plumbing the best I could. Then refill.

Also, if this is your first purge, many people need more than one purge to release all the gunk. Mine took one or two purges just to start to get nasty. Then I lost count how many I did. 8 maybe (?) You'll know it's good when it foams and it's clean. Unfortunately you always have to start a new purge to figure that out because tha old purge will have nasty stuff in it still. Your pics look like the foam is clean but now you may not have enough ahhsome instead of the last one with too much.

At this point you might as well add a little ahhsome (because clearly you have some in there already) and do a 2nd purge before draining.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ok thanks. One other question before I do that. My fill water is coming through a whole house iron filter, house water softener, special iron hose filter and then to the tub. The hardness will be next to nothing and I’ll add hardness tomorrow. I was reading that having low hardness could be causing the foam I see now. What do you think?

Jandersen13. You have a decision to make here. What you are describing is definitely residual Ahh-Some that remained in the tub's inner workings. If you decide to drain it again I recommend that you actually add one level TEASPOON of the gel to the tub and purge for another 10 minutes to just be certain that you did loosen and free up the bio-gunk. With a residual left in the tub just one teaspoon will work fine. You may get a good second release. If you choose to not drain the tub and not do another purge just run the tub as normal and wipe any clinging stickies that you may see, especially in the filter well. You can use the tub even if there is a minimal amount of residual Ahh-Some remaining. You may see slightly more foaming for a few days. In two days tops your water will be sparkling clear. Remove the filter(s) on Monday hose them off. This will be fine and the way I would go if you are sure that you removed most of the build-up in the tub. If not really sure, purge it again with just a smidge of the gel. Please keep us posted.

And this is why I'm hesitant to use Ahhsome, I did buy some Ahhsome... but my tub seems clean now and no foaming , and what I read is there is always foaming after an Ahhsome purge. Hmmmm

and what I read is there is always foaming after an Ahhsome purge
Just like any soapy/foamy water, if you leave the gallon or two in the plumbing it will create new foamy water after refilling. It’s easy enough to drain a 2nd time right away and most tubs don’t need to be completely full to run the jets.

I needed about half full to cover my inlets and I’d stick the hose in the hole with the filter out. A couple of quick spurts and the old gunk was out.

Or with the first drain you can force hose water into the system while sucking with a shop vac at various jets.

When you see what comes out of the pipes that you’ve been/will be bathing in, you’ll be happy to do whatever rinsing it needs.

Just like any soapy/foamy water, if you leave the gallon or two in the plumbing it will create new foamy water after refilling. It’s easy enough to drain a 2nd time right away and most tubs don’t need to be completely full to run the jets.

I needed about half full to cover my inlets and I’d stick the hose in the hole with the filter out. A couple of quick spurts and the old gunk was out.

Or with the first drain you can force hose water into the system while sucking with a shop vac at various jets.

When you see what comes out of the pipes that you’ve been/will be bathing in, you’ll be happy to do whatever rinsing it needs.
But I don't/cannot fill my hot tub with a hose... WAY to much iron in my water here. I run my hose into my pool (tinting the pool green) run the sand filter for a day which collects the iron and turns the pool clear blue again, and then fill my tub from the pool. If I fill my tub with the hose I have all sorts of problems and my paper filters look like coffee filters. So I do not want to have multiple fills of my hot tub!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crud. I forgot about your thread and all the headaches. So the above doesn’t apply in your instance but still does for most future readers. (y)
I'm sure it works great for most, but when it comes to multiple drain and fills I'm just not sure.
Like I say I do have some ahhsome here and I may try it when its time for a water change, I could do the purge, drain then fill with the hose and drain again, then rinse all that out with pool water, then refill. I'd have to start the day before, overfill the pool then run the filter to get rid of the iron and make sure I have enough water in the pool to do it all. Just makes it into a big project...
If I could time it to when we got a couple inches of rain, that would help some.

Now that you point it out you could clean the tub with the hose, drain *that*, and only have a little of the iron/hose water left in the plumbing which would then be diluted 500 (?) to 1 when you filled with the clean pool water.

Now that you point it out you could clean the tub with the hose, drain *that*, and only have a little of the iron/hose water left in the plumbing which would then be diluted 500 (?) to 1 when you filled with the clean pool water.
Thats what I'm thinking but I would want to flush ALL that iron water out then refill. I've had to much trouble with this iron over the years to leave any in.

When I got my new hot tub a couple months ago I flushed with ahhsome, got tons of sticky goopy green biofilm out, then just refilled and used it. I didn't have any foaming problem. I also didn't use a shop vac to suck out the water in the plumbing after I drained it.

So for me I didn't have to fill and drain again after an ahhsome purge. Next time I change my water again I'm not going to do it either.

So for me I didn't have to fill and drain again after an ahhsome purge. Next time I change my water again I'm not going to do it either
As long as it works for you....... woohoo. (y)

OP thinks he used too much in the first place so it would make sense that the residuals created a half or quarter purge with the refill. But for anyone who doesn’t see the second foaming, move on and smile.

Good discussion. I wanted to give you all an update. Just like @Ahhsomeguy said, I didn’t add more for a purge again (one suggestion) and waited it out. I rinsed the filter on Monday, that evening the water was fairly clear and very low / no foam with the jets all on. Today the water was crystal clear and no foam. So it took a bit longer to get out, but was worth it and I didn’t have to drain and refill again. I have iron issues as well so I don’t love doing drain / refills if I can avoid it.

Looks like I had just a bit too much of Ahhsome the first time. I’ll try a bit less next time.

Looks like I had just a bit too much of Ahhsome the first time. I’ll try a bit less next time.
Be honest now....... It wasn't an 'accident', was it ? :laughblue:

(Not judging....... my own purge accidentally had too much as well. *wink wink*)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.