Ahh-Some Green ring after multiple purges!

Misskelsey

Oct 7, 2020
Missouri
I’ve last-resorted to the ahh-some jetted tub cleaner for my in-home whirlpool tub after MANY (ive probably filled and cleaned over 20 times over the course of) other attempted cleaning regimens (dishwasher liquid soap, bleach, vinegar, whirl-out, you name it). I have got to purge number 3 with this Ahh-Some and there is this never ending green ring that lines the waterline in the tub. I’ve wiped it out relentlessly during each purge, rinsed and wiped the tub clean, and still it stays. Purge after purge. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else seen this bright green ring? Any ideas as to what it may be? Help!

Maybe oxidation? Pics are helpful. On the subsequent purge did u add more ahhsome? (Only 1/2 the original amt is suggested) Too much ahhsome can take a while to eliminate. Blue & yellowish make green so it’s possible you added too much. Keep wiping & flushing.

E69B783C-A85A-4A68-A4C3-2FEF47F2508C.jpeg
Here it is after the 3rd cycle. I let it run for an additional 30 minutes after the recommended time (after wiping completely clean and monitored for a few minutes to make sure I didn’t see anymore green, then stepped out to tend to the kids) and the ring was back when I returned. I haven’t added any more to the purges, only the 1/2 teaspoon it called for at the beginning of each. I wanted to do everything exactly how it stated careful not to cause any problems that I may not have been aware of. Lol. Hopefully the picture helps. Going to try again today to see if there are any noticeable changes.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I think its just gunk. Purge again with the 1/2 tsp - run it for the 30 min then let it rest & run it again - do this until its clear (no more stuff comes out)
then drain, refill, & run the jets w/out adding any more. Hopefully your purge odyssey will be over soon 😊

Reactions: Misskelsey
I had issues w/my spa on the first fill and tried ahh-some. First go round there was a ton of gunk. Second much less. Third time almost none. I'm thinking your tub was just really nasty ... at some point the amount of gunk should start decreasing, to nothing.

Hi Misskelsey: My name is Jerry Parker, the Ahh-Some manufacturer. Your picture is very typical as to what is released during a purge. The green gunk is normal as to what can be released from tubs. You are doing everything correctly. Keep using one half of a level teaspoon. You do not need to add any extra gel to do the job.
So it sounds like you have used a smorgasbord of cleaners to clean the plumbing and the slime keeps coming out. This may look nasty, but it is a good thing. You are getting it out little by little. Jetted tubs can be a very frustrating experience as compared to hot tub purges. In hot tubs we use sanitizers and other chemicals to kill bacteria, fungi, yeasts, mold and a plethora of other contaminants. Sanitizers also oxidize or "burn out" organics like exfoliated skin, hair, oils, antiperspirants, lotions, creams and a wide assortment of things. In a jetted tub you get most of that same stuff but not the sanitizer or other chemicals to add as a weekly maintenance product. So, gunk builds fast and furious in jetted tub plumbing. Years may go by before anyone says, hey, we should clean this thing. I see black, brown, green and a variety of other colored particulates spewing out the jets every so often. Now you have realized that this purge can be a good thing. Remember, in a jetted tub there could be years of cumulated build-up in there. Jetted tubs can take up to 20 or more purges before you finally get it clean. One lady who used her jetted tub everyday for years told me it took her 64 purges with our product before it was clean. So, keep at it. You are using the strongest and most effective plumbing cleaner that we know of. We have tested every major brand and we can assure you that the Ahh-Some will do it better and faster. You've seen this already based on your posting where you say you have tried many protocols and it is still not clean. That little 2 oz container for around $30.00 gets you up to 24 purges. You may call our office anytime and we will do all we can to assist you or answer any questions. Our phone number is on the lid in big bold numbers. Yes, we do answer every single call. Sorry for the long winded post but this is important to know when cleaning a jetted plumbing infrastructure. One final point! In over 25 years our product has not damaged one part on any hot tub or jetted tub no matter how many times you use the product. It is a non-acidic product and has a very extended shelf life.

Last edited:
I really thought I had done it. I purged and no more green ring! I rinsed and wiped clean. Then this evening I only sat in the tub and started seeing brown particles floating out of the jets, and my jets weren’t even on! The worst part after getting out and draining I refilled and ran the jets and the bottom of the tub was infested with these brown particles. I about cried. Here we are once more back to the cleaning chronicles of the unimaginably dirty whirlpool tub 🤦🏼‍♀️😑. What did these previous homeowners do to this poor tub 😭.

Here we are once more back to the cleaning chronicles of the unimaginably dirty whirlpool tub 🤦🏼‍♀️😑. What did these previous homeowners do to this poor tub 😭.
They didn’t do anything. And that’s the problem. Most people have zero clue that these tubs need system maintenance. People think that because the water gets flushed with each use that it’s ‘clean’. We just moved and inherited a whirlpool tub that’s 18 years old. I have the ahh-some on hand for one of these days when I don’t already have 35 other projects going on. I can only imagine what is going to come out. 🤮

Reactions: Mdragger88
It seems you have exposed another layer of gunk - hopefully it will end soon. I would add a dab of bleach (1oz or so) each time along w/ hot water. & do it for an hour like Maddie suggested if you’re in it for the long haul. You’ve come so far!
I have heard of Some people just capping/plugging the jets if they just want the bathtub vs jacuzzi. I can totally understand that logic based on your experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.