Ahh-Some filter cleaner

joestein2010

Jan 27, 2020
Florida
I purchased some Ahhsome filter cleaner from Amazon and it just came in today. (I have been using the hot tub cleaner from them for over a year now and love it) I am planning on cleaning my cartridges tonight. It says on their website that I only need to let them sit in a bucket with the ahhsome in it for 15 minutes. Is there any harm in letting them stay in the cleaner longer? I just think 15 minutes is a bit quick. I don't want to ruin my cartridges. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

An overnight soaking will NOT harm your filter(s). The filter cleaners formula is designed for a "get em in and get em out" type cleaning. We endeavored to make the product powerful enough to work quickly as most people are busy with other things most of the time. So, soak them as long as you like, hose them off and let them drip dry. I really like to see cartridge filters inserted into the filter well when dry and not wet. An older very talented service tech told me over 25 or 30 years ago that you should always insert dry filters into operation for longer life cycles.
ideally, you have a spare filter set that you can use while the just cleaned ones are drying. One other thing! Our cleaner gets them very clean but they will not look white as they do when new. If you want to whiten them up just spray a little bleach on the cleaned and dry filters and the white like new reappears. For the TFP readers who have pools with Sand Filters, this cleaner will get so much gunk out of your sand bed when used correctly. It is a little tricky as to how this procedure is done so read the instructions on www.Ahhsome.com. Another thing, even though your water tests fine and the water looks great remember that the filter(s) can harbor some very nasty particulates and they build from deep inside the pleats. Even a good garden hose rinsing misses a lot of the contaminants.

An overnight soaking will NOT harm your filter(s). The filter cleaners formula is designed for a "get em in and get em out" type cleaning. We endeavored to make the product powerful enough to work quickly as most people are busy with other things most of the time. So, soak them as long as you like, hose them off and let them drip dry. I really like to see cartridge filters inserted into the filter well when dry and not wet. An older very talented service tech told me over 25 or 30 years ago that you should always insert dry filters into operation for longer life cycles.
ideally, you have a spare filter set that you can use while the just cleaned ones are drying. One other thing! Our cleaner gets them very clean but they will not look white as they do when new. If you want to whiten them up just spray a little bleach on the cleaned and dry filters and the white like new reappears. For the TFP readers who have pools with Sand Filters, this cleaner will get so much gunk out of your sand bed when used correctly. It is a little tricky as to how this procedure is done so read the instructions on www.Ahhsome.com. Another thing, even though your water tests fine and the water looks great remember that the filter(s) can harbor some very nasty particulates and they build from deep inside the pleats. Even a good garden hose rinsing misses a lot of the contaminants.
Thank you very much for the information. I absolutely love your hot tub ahhsome so I am hopeful this is will be just as awesome. Thanks.

Just a little background on this Filter Cleaner. We developed this product initially for Sand Filters way back in 2005/2006. Actually, a gentleman from Alabama used our Pool Gel at that time to clean the bio-accumulated gunk from his sand filter bed as his pressure was going up rapidly even after sufficient backwashing. On his own he diluted some of the pool clarifier gel into a 3-5 gallon pail and fed a slurry of it into one of his skimmers with his filter selector port set to "backwash". He poured it in, quickly told his wife to shut the power off, let it set for an hour or so then diluted another dose and poured it into a different skimmer, yes, he had 2 skimmers, and had her turn the power back on while he poured the 2nd slurry while keeping the pump running and still in the backwash position. He marveled at the amount of gunk that was eliminated and actually called us when we were located in Connecticut Telling us that his filter pressure was down and didn't rise nearly as quickly after the cleaning. So, we got with our biochemist who recommended that we tweak a new formula away from the pool water clarifier to more towards a filter cleaner Product with enhancements. That's the story. It works for all filter types. Great for cartridges and you won't believe how great it will work on a sand filter. A little tricky to use but no big deal if you don't shut the power off quick enough. This works great with two people. After all these years I will never forget this gentleman and how he actually pushed us to make this product.

Hey @Ahhsomeguy, can you give us more details about the chemical composition of the Ahhsome filter cleaner? Some filter manufacturers warn to use a degreaser PRIOR to using an acidic product (acidic product to remove calcium and mineral deposits).

My various local stores here in Canada carry various filter cleaners, some contain various forms of alcohols, others contain various acids, some have both alcohols and acids combined, some use "environmentally-preferable" acids which isn't a standardized term but seems to hint that they are marginally better for the environment to dump down the drain than stronger acids.

How does Ahhsome filter cleaner compare, either theoretically based on chemical formulation and/or in real-world side by side testing? My dual-filter spa would be a good candidate for A/B testing if you wanna send some product my way ;) - both filters would be equally dirty and have an equal starting point in comparing 2 different cleaners.

To Stan & Hypoxic: If you both have cartridge (pleated) element filters it is perfectly fine to just use the hot tub purge product. This is what we recommend when you purge the plumbing. We ask you to place the filter(s) into the hot tub with the Ahh-Some and they will get pretty clea. When I am saying clean I do not mean that they will be lily white again like a brand new filter but I mean deep-seated particulates and mineral deposits will be removed. Just hose them off and ideally, let them dry before reusing. I would not pay the extra charges associated with a Canadian delivery for the filter cleaner product unless you have a sand filter that needs cleaning. Our filter cleaner gel is non-acidic. You do not need to use a degreaser before using it. The formula is proprietary. Thank you Gentlemen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hypoxic

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.