AGP plan in Boise. Debating heat pump.

rachler

May 25, 2024
Boise, ID
Hi all,

I am planning an AGP in Boise, ID. I already have a 16' x 14' cement pad. I've done a lot of reading and could now use some feedback.

I am considering an Intex Ultra XTR 14' round pool, which is a little under 4,000 gallons. 154sf surface area. It comes with a SX1500 sand filter pump, which runs at 1050 gallons/hr. I have two Labradors.

Here are my plans, please advise:
  1. I picked the super-beefy Intex because of the dogs, and in the hopes it would last longer. But would Prism be good enough?
  2. I want the pool to be 90F. I plan to use it mostly Jun-Aug, where average highs are in the 80's - 90's and lows are in the 50's. But I will potentially use it anytime it's above 80F, which could be May - October at random times. It's very dry here.
    1. I don't want the long solar panels that lie on the ground. We don't have a good place for those.
    2. I'm considering a heat pump, most notably the FH235-i 35,000 BTU Full Inverter Heat Pump.
      1. One of the smallest heat pumps I can find
      2. Good brand??
      3. They have a cheaper one, but this has more refined controls (as opposed to on/off)
    3. I considered just using a solar cover and perhaps insulating the walls somehow, but I don't think I'd get the temps that I want, reliably. Also, I wouldn't be able to heat the pool for the days in Spring and Fall when it's warmer, but the days are shorter.
  3. I'm planning on getting a skimmer, since the dogs will be in every time I am. People seem to love the Hayward in wall skimmer, but I'm wondering if that might be a problem on a relatively small round pool. (ie, the wall isn't flat) Maybe an over the wall skimmer with a sock or pantyhose?
  4. Taylor TF-100.
    1. Should I get a speed stir, a smart stir, or neither? I don't mind mixing reagents myself, but I want it to be accurate.
  5. The pool comes with a cover. Do I need to get an insulated cover? I can afford to lose some heat overnight, as I generate excess solar electricity during the day.
  6. The pool comes with a ladder, but I'm looking at steps so the dogs can safely get themselves out. The pool is only 48" tall and they're labs, but one of them is 10 years old. I'm not sure if I can count of her scrabbling out on a ladder if she somehow got in when I'm not around.
    1. I'm thinking of CONFER plastics inc. Above Ground Swimming Pool Curve Base Steps.
    2. What else could I put in the pool to make a platform for them? I'm thinking cinderblocks on a mat, but that would not be nice to kick.
  7. I own a stick vac and a robot. I gather the robot might not crawl up the walls very well since it's not for AGP pools, but will it hurt anything?
  8. The pool comes with a ground cloth. Should I count on putting some foam between the pool and the ground cloth (which will be lying on cement.)
    1. A soft bottom is nice, but I think ants or something slimy will decide to live there.
    2. I can live without the foam and would rather use plastic where I don't have to.
    3. It might make the pool stay warmer, but I'm not sure if it's enough to matter. I will keep it covered when not in use.
  9. Should I get a leaf skimmer, the type that's on a pole. I have a small net, but no pole.
Thank you for any advice you have time to share.

Hello! :wave: There are a few things in your post I personally can't comment on, but a few that I can so I'd like to help get this discussion going so you can move on with your planning.
- The Taylor (K-2006C) and TF-Series test kits (TF-100, TF-Pro, etc) are different kits and from different vendors. The TF-Series products are from tftestkits.net and the link is in my signature. The Taylor K-2006C is sold online. IMO, the TF-Series are a better value, but you're welcome to use either. Definitely get a speedstir. See the following for more info.
For dog access in/out of the pool, Google "dog ramps" or "dog ladders". You'll see a variety of products that look like might work for you.

- Thru-wall skimmers are a popular upgrade if you can do it. Much better than the over-the-wall baskets things.

- Be mindful about ladders or steps in the pool. You'll need something for sure, but at some point you will need to take them out, either for winter prep, cleaning/rust prevention, or algae control. Just think that one through. Some of those products can be a real pain to remove.

- A robot and/or hand vacuum is fine. Should be no issues.

- A good quality pad on the base can make things more pleasurable for your feet. Consider something like Gorilla Pads or insulation panels from the home improvement store. Those a re just a couple ideas, and you may have others.

- You didn't say anything about how you plan to chlorinate the pool, so keep that in mind. You will either have to add liquid chlorine each day or so as needed, or upgrade and get a salt water generator that creates the chlorine for you via salt in the water. If you go salt, make sure you also get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. The TF-Salt Pro comes with it.

That's a start anyway. I'm sure others will reply soon. Have a good day.

Hello! :wave: There are a few things in your post I personally can't comment on, but a few that I can so I'd like to help get this discussion going so you can move on with your planning.
- The Taylor (K-2006C) and TF-Series test kits (TF-100, TF-Pro, etc) are different kits and from different vendors. The TF-Series products are from tftestkits.net and the link is in my signature. The Taylor K-2006C is sold online. IMO, the TF-Series are a better value, but you're welcome to use either. Definitely get a speedstir. See the following for more info.
For dog access in/out of the pool, Google "dog ramps" or "dog ladders". You'll see a variety of products that look like might work for you.

- Thru-wall skimmers are a popular upgrade if you can do it. Much better than the over-the-wall baskets things.

- Be mindful about ladders or steps in the pool. You'll need something for sure, but at some point you will need to take them out, either for winter prep, cleaning/rust prevention, or algae control. Just think that one through. Some of those products can be a real pain to remove.

- A robot and/or hand vacuum is fine. Should be no issues.

- A good quality pad on the base can make things more pleasurable for your feet. Consider something like Gorilla Pads or insulation panels from the home improvement store. Those a re just a couple ideas, and you may have others.

- You didn't say anything about how you plan to chlorinate the pool, so keep that in mind. You will either have to add liquid chlorine each day or so as needed, or upgrade and get a salt water generator that creates the chlorine for you via salt in the water. If you go salt, make sure you also get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. The TF-Salt Pro comes with it.

That's a start anyway. I'm sure others will reply soon. Have a good day.
Thanks. I'm planning on using liquid chlorine for now. I'll check out the doggie ramps and hold off on putting anything large an unwieldy in the pool.