AG manual pool vacuum

Lacey

Jul 2, 2016
Lincoln, Nebraska
Hello!

I want to start by saying we received a whole bunch of "junk" with our pool when we purchased it, with absolutely NO instructions or training. One of these items was an automatic poolboy pool cleaner. We tried it and it irritated me by how slow it "thump thump thump thumped" around....soooo we threw it away :grrrr:

Since then I just take the hose, remove the skimmer basket, stick the hose down the skimmer pipe, and use the other end of the hose (just the hose, no attachments) to manually vacuum anything up. My husband helps hold me under water and I swim around vacuuming up anything I see. It's about a 2+ hour ordeal. I enjoy it, but my husband gets very bored just standing there. When I was pregnant last year, we invested in the robot, as my buoyancy significantly increased lol. The dolphin S50 (I believe) works fairly well...it just again irritates me when it tries to climb nothing in the middle of the pool and seems to miss some spots. So again, I go through and manually vacuum with the hose under water. Don't get me wrong, it works well, and my pool is very clean, but recently I discovered there are some great contraptions to clean the pool using a pole and even some that have a bag to filter whatever we pick up instead of directly depositing it into our cartridge filter. I'm very impressed with the weighted pool vacuum heads with wheels on them, but everything I read says they are only for concrete pools.

Does anyone have any "manual vacuum's" for an AG vinyl lined pool that they would recommend?

I would prefer the following:
It would simultaneously brush the bottom of the pool while vacuuming (this would be nice, but not 100% necessary)
It could be moved around by a pole from inside the pool (we do not have a deck and I am 5'0" tall making using a pool from outside the pool nearly impossible)
It is weighted, yet easy to move around (like the ones with wheels made for the concrete pools)
It preferably had a filtration bag so everything does not go straight into the filter.

I have looked on Amazon and the forums and I have not found any that seem to have even semi decent reviews. Recommendations would be appreciated.

And one more question, those with cartridge filters, how often do you clean them? I have read to clean when pressure increases, but we've had ours for 3 seasons now and have never seen more than 1-2psi increase even when it's filthy (our first year we didn't clean it the entire season...again, we were clueless!). Currently we are cleaning it about every 2-3 weeks with the pressure washer (not recommended, I know, but we're on our 3rd season with it and it seems to be doing ok...). We soaking the cartridge it in TSP overnight about once a month. Are we cleaning it too often, not enough or just keep doing what we're doing?

Thank you and I hope everyone is having a great swimming year!

I have been using a cheap $13 or so from Amazon roller vacuum head that is for "concrete" only. Been doing it by hand and it works well. Then I pull the hose and go around the edge while pulling back the overlapping piece from the bottom where it meets the side.

Like you, this goes straight to the filter which means a cleaning if it was a lot.

They make attachments that sit on top of the skimmer too that you connect your hose to. If you had a hair net filter in there, it would catch most of the stuff. I think I might end up going that route.

I am also thinking of making an attachment out of an old indoor vacuum piece that has bristles on it. Maybe a "Y" piece of PVC. The indoor vacuum attachment on the bottom, hose coming out of one of the top "Y" connections and just a piece of PVC pipe out of the other to hold. Could cap and fill the handle with something for weight.

I use a Pool Blaster Max. Put the brushes on instead of the wheels. It is completely independent of your filtration system. I clean my cart maybe once during the pool season. In Michigan the season can be all too short! Between the Pool Blaster vac and skimmer "socks" I keep a lot of crud out of my filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.