Current pool temp 72
Although I ll be heating it for the weekend crew
If I get home by tomorrow night
Chlorine 22
Combine Chlorine 0
Ph 7.5
Alkalinity 100
CYA 0
Chlorine is just starting to drop -5days after last addition of liquid chlorine at SLAM level so my question is
Do I wait for chlorine to drop to 4 or 5
And then adjust Ph/alkalinity ?
Or do I adjust ph / alkalinity while chlorine is still so high ?
AND I don t want to stabilize the chlorine at 22?And I have liquid stabilizer / conditioner arriving Friday
Something I have never needed to add?
Thank you !
Deb

Attachments

• B080CEAF-45C8-453E-84C7-615F4149092C.jpeg
    B080CEAF-45C8-453E-84C7-615F4149092C.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 8
Deb, my biggest concern the CYA at zero. Why? Every pool needs "some" stabilizer - TFP recommend 30 ppm minimum. Even if your pool doesn't lose a lot of FC to the sun, the stabilizer aides in buffering the harshness of the chlorine. With no CYA, the chlorine/bleach is exceptionally strong. Too strong for safe swimming and can effect your liner. So I would use FC/CYA Levels to add at least 30 ppm of CYA.

Other than that, you don't need to adjust anything. The pH may rise a little as the days go on, so you can adjust it (lower) later as needed if it starts to go over 7.8. Leave the TA alone for now as well. Enjoy your pool. :swim:

Reactions: Dba1047
Did you drain and refill? There's no reason otherwise for CYA to drop to 0. Something's not quite right...

Also, your pH reading may be off since your FC is over 10. Wait till it's 10ppm or less and test pH again before you do anything to adjust it.

Reactions: Dba1047
Lol tf100 kit is great
But no “scoop”
Or friend who has been testing has lost it ?
I tested cya twice and got 40
She kept saying it was 0
I m very happy I did not add conditioner
And I m a tired klutz and dropped chlorine test tube in the pool
So I m guessing I can use the calcium test tube for chlorine but how much is a scoop ??
And i have no idea what s $40 stirrer looks like but there isn t anything in the kit
Could someone enlighten me?
Also how long does it take for chlorine to dissipate ? The pool has not been heated for 12 days and was at 24 last Thursday and 22 this am
Well it s been in the 60 s and 70s
I assume turning the heater on will dissipate some ?
And adding some water ?
Thanks for any helpful hints
Deb

A 'scoop' is enough to turn the water sample a dark pink. Less than an eighth of a teaspoon.
If you ordered the Speedstir it should be in its own box. If you ordered and did not receive, contact TFTestkits in the morning. Call them.
FC will be consumed by sun hitting the pool surface. If it is cloudy, less will be consumed. Heating the water will not speed up the FC drop. Why are you worried about the FC dropping?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a CYA of 40 you can safely swim in 16ppm FC. Will the sun be out tomorrow?

No way the FC was 24 a week ago and only dropped to 22 today. Chlorine has been added during that time.

Came inside tested everything again
FC 17
CC 0
CYA 40/50/60 ugh i hate subjective tests
Until the black dot disappears ???? Really - geez -
Ph between 7.5-7.8 ( which is why I ordered. The ph meter - the color thing - sigh ?‍♀️
TA 100
It should be fine by tomorrow afternoon
I just worry about the little ones
Thank you for your quick answers and patience

With a CYA of 40 you can safely swim in 16ppm FC. Will the sun be out tomorrow?

No way the FC was 24 a week ago and only dropped to 22 today. Chlorine has been added during that time.

You are correct !
Just found out my youngest daughter stopped by and being in helpful mode added a quart of 10% bleach Saturday - lol ?
Oh well
It went from 22 to 17 tonight
By tomorrow it will be fine

You are correct !
Just found out my youngest daughter stopped by and being in helpful mode added a quart of 10% bleach Saturday

Well now, I can see this as a perfect application for the Pool Math app. Give anyone who might do anything to the pool your login for their phones, they can log all their additions, maintenance, tests, notes, etc., and then everyone who has the app can see the logs of what's happened to the pool. It does require a subscription but it's very cheap and well worth it. You will never wonder why inexplicable things are happening again.

Came inside tested everything again
FC 17
CC 0
CYA 40/50/60 ugh i hate subjective tests
Until the black dot disappears ???? Really - geez -
Ph between 7.5-7.8 ( which is why I ordered. The ph meter - the color thing - sigh ?‍♀️
TA 100
It should be fine by tomorrow afternoon
I just worry about the little ones
Thank you for your quick answers and patience
Subjective is right. You need to read up and watch the Cya test on YouTube. There's no way you got it right indoors.

Your CYA is very high for a non-SWCG pool. You should consider lowering the CYA by drainng 1/3 to 1/2 your pool water and refilling.

Your target range FC is 9-11. Maintain the FC in that range or it can result in algae in your pool.

pH testing is invalid with a FC above 10 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.