After a Year, I Think I'm FINALLY Getting It!

dcsmith

Gold Supporter
Nov 19, 2021
Ocala, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
As a relatively new pool owner, I have been fighting the alkalinity/pH balance for close to a year. As someone wrote to me, "Adding Muriatic Acid and Baking Soda at the same time is like putting your foot on the gas and the brake at the same time!". He was right. It's all about the CSI.
I have learned that I can let my pH rise a bit as long as I have a decent CH. My CH is a bit low currently (240), but I still have a CSI of -0.11. My problem is that I was striving for a "perfect" balance of EVERYTHING!
With all the rain we have been getting in Central Florida, it's a constant fight to stay on top.

Reactions: Newdude
I think it is great that you are taking care of your pool and focusing on specific data.

My view is that the goal is to stay in "range" and not sweat the small stuff. Having a target of -0.3 to +0.3 for CSI allows flexibility as you noted where some areas are fighting high CH due to local water supplies and others have to fight the TA & pH interactions because of water features, etc.

Getting close to zero as a perfect balance is normally short-lived as rain, sun and water temperatures are also some things we cannot completely control but can adapt to over time.
Good Luck and thanks for being a TFP member.

+1. The path to inner pool peace is to let go from the micromanaging.

Get your pool in range and then listen to what it wants to do. It will not listen to you. :)

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.