CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I noticed the water level in our pool was down and found the problem was water leaking from the bottom of the black rubber cap that sticks out of the top of the condenser (has a wire going into it which I believe is the thermostat sensor). It only leaks when the pool pump is on, doesn't matter if the heater is on or off. I've been doing my research and I think there may be a hole in the temp sense well (part # STK1113A). AquaCal tech support isn't open until Monday and they are probably just going to want to send someone out and since the heater is 18 years old I'd rather not pay for them to service it if this is something I can do myself. I can't remove the black rubber cap easily because there is a zip tie around it and I'm afraid to cut that off right now until I know what I'm doing. Does anyone know if this part is something I can easily replace and help me with instructions? And is there a way to bypass this in the meantime so I can run the pool pump and not lose water? Thanks! Ann

IMG_2203 2.jpg

How did you do with Aquacal tech support?

Someone called me back Monday afternoon but in the meantime I did snip off the zip-tie, took off the black rubber cover and had my husband unscrew the sensor well (it was really hard to remove). Right away I saw a tear in it. I was able to find the part, STK1113A, on eBay and did priority shipping. While waiting for the part to arrive I finally touched base with AquaCal and the guy said there was no way to bypass the heat pump so I could run the main pump (of course we were in a heat wave!). I got the part Thursday, my husband screwed it in and we crossed our fingers. Well we did it - no more leak!! My next worry was damage to the main pump since it did run dry before we noticed the water loss and we don't know how long it ran with no water. The pump is working but I notice wetness on the cement pad around it so I'm worried there is damage. From what I have researched I think it might be damage to a seal and I don't think I can replace that myself (I'm a little handy, but not the handy, and my husband isn't handy at all lol) so I will have to call someone to fix it because if water gets into the motor it will ruin it. So overall good news, thanks for asking!

Sounds like you did fine on your own.

Likely the pump shaft seal needs replacement from the pump overheating when running dry.

Yes, I just watched a video on how to replace it...not sure I'm up for doing it...the hardest part for me is finding the right tools to remove parts and even then I can't get parts unscrewed/apart.

Attachments

• BF83A04B-88ED-4692-B8B2-541923E2DEF6.jpeg
    BF83A04B-88ED-4692-B8B2-541923E2DEF6.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 3
It does not look like the bolts are rusted which is a good sign.

Connect the bond wire better when you reattach the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.