digidoggie18

Jul 7, 2021
Pueblo West, CO
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hello, Last year I struggled a little bit with aeration. We have a 14000 gallon above ground pool at 24' round. With that being said there were times I needed to lower TA. I believe I read baking soda was a bad method as I think I remember people saying it can cause cloudy water. With that said I will be using borax as an addition this year. other than that its pretty much just chlorine additions for slamming when needed and I'd prefer to stay as chemical free as possible.

We tried the sprinkler for aeration last year and it didnt even raise the PH, then as another way around it I said screw it and turned on the compressor and lowered a brick in with an air nozzle and that didnt do anything to the PH after like 5 hours.

I feel defeated with aeration right now. What are some things or products you use to aerate that work well? Any recommendations for me on this at all? I know TA isn't an important value but I wanted to try aeration to play around with the chemistry a little bit.

So far this years start has been our quickest. Started today and been working throughout the day testing andd we are ready to start slamming in a couple days once the cyanuric dissolves completely.

Build one of these and put it on top of a sump pump. 3/16th holes in the caps, whole bunch of them.

I have a 30K gallon pool. I can lower my TA by 10ppm in 12 hours. Got my 140 TA down to 70 in 3.5 days. You should be able to do the same in 1/2 the time.

The "TRICK" is the get LOTS of VERY TINY bubbles. Good luck!!

Aerator.jpg

Baking soda is used to increase TA rather than decrease.

I found a creative way to get a lot of aeration really fast… I got a tee on my return pipe, with a threaded bushing to 3/4” brass lead free water valve few more bushings and adaptors a air valve and a male air adapter where I can connect the air hose from my air compressor. I adjust the output of the compressor around 7psi and open all valves wit the pump on… I get a lot of fine bibles out of the return. I don’t think me gimmick is TFP approved though.

Reactions: digidoggie18
Baking soda is used to increase TA rather than decrease.

I found a creative way to get a lot of aeration really fast… I got a tee on my return pipe, with a threaded bushing to 3/4” brass lead free water valve few more bushings and adaptors a air valve and a male air adapter where I can connect the air hose from my air compressor. I adjust the output of the compressor around 7psi and open all valves wit the pump on… I get a lot of fine bibles out of the return. I don’t think me gimmick is TFP approved though.
oops my fault haha

Build one of these and put it on top of a sump pump. 3/16th holes in the caps, whole bunch of them.

I have a 30K gallon pool. I can lower my TA by 10ppm in 12 hours. Got my 140 TA down to 70 in 3.5 days. You should be able to do the same in 1/2 the time.

The "TRICK" is the get LOTS of VERY TINY bubbles. Good luck!!

View attachment 416961
Whoa! thats a really great idea to be honest!!! looks like thats my next project!! The tiny bubbles was my absolute mistake then. I was shooting larger bubbles under the water and not at the surface

Reactions: PoolStored
Whoa! thats a really great idea to be honest!!! looks like thats my next project!! The tiny bubbles was my absolute mistake then. I was shooting larger bubbles under the water and not at the surface
Yeah, having a sump pump is the bee's knees. Use it all the time to pump down the pool after rain, lower TA, remove water from the pool to change liner. Great 100$ tool to add to the arsenal.

Had fun building it and the kids love playing under it. Just make sure to put it in a bucket (protects the liner), and secure it from flying around.

Yeah, having a sump pump is the bee's knees. Use it all the time to pump down the pool after rain, lower TA, remove water from the pool to change liner. Great 100$ tool to add to the arsenal.

Had fun building it and the kids love playing under it. Just make sure to put it in a bucket (protects the liner), and secure it from flying around.
Haha thanks for the last part! The bucket was already on my mind. It would be a much easier way than what I use haha. I just use a garden hose and a cup. you can force water into the hose through the cup quickly and then I just run it through one of the lower intakes and out to the ditch haha. I feel kind of dumb now lmao

Does this look right?? Sorry haha, it's crude for now as the pump is a little powerful haha 4000 gph iirc

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_161256.jpg
    IMG_20220601_161256.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's your huckleberry! What size holes did you drill?
Perfect didn't have the bit you said so I used one size smaller at 11/64 and did like 10 holes ish per cap. After an hour we appear to have gone up .1ph so I'll have to keep monitoring to see the further increase. I haven't tested fully today though and only kept chlorine up because we are slamming and it's raining very very lightly haha. No grass in our yard yet unfortunately. We have to find a place locally that sells native blue grama and buffalo grass so we don't have to water during summer.

Amazing, huh? If you are slamming, pH test will not work at FC 10 and above.
Delete, mistake on my part. I believe my tfp kit works with it but the color is different. I use a digital meter for mine though. I'm glad you pointed that out. I'm almost done slamming too so I should be able to verify soon. Yesterday we were at .5CC after 2.5CC and water is clear. I'm going to keep going for a little while longer though cause I'm not fully done vacuuming

Amazing, huh? If you are slamming, pH test will not work at FC 10 and above.
Ok, so i did adjust chlorine down as the water cleared up however, I thought something was funky. Found out my PH meter calibrated correctly but was not reading correctly and would keep dropping and never stabilize. Come to find out PH was actually 8.2. My CC are 0 and have been for a couple days now.

That being said, I wanted to do that to double check things before getting too far out of check. I also stopped aeration. I have adjusted down in PH and went slightly too far at 6.8 however, the Aeration appears to be working. I took a PH test 2 hours (slightly less, maybe 1.75 hrs) after getting to 6.8 with the new setup and so far I have increased by 0.3 PH.

Does this sound on par and correct? I am being picky on color so I could have very well increased by 0.4PH (color appeared just slightly lighter than the 7.2 but not even close to low enough to be 6.8. I used a taylor PH kit from the TF-100 kit to verify all this.

Does this sound on par and correct? I am being picky on color so I could have very well increased by 0.4PH (color appeared just slightly lighter than the 7.2 but not even close to low enough to be 6.8. I used a taylor PH kit from the TF-100 kit to verify all this.
Seems fast, but you have a big pump, more heads and more holes than me, and 1/2 the size of the pool. Just trust the pH test.

Yeah, I have the pH meter too. Never use it. Not worth the hassle and I can do pH test in about 15 seconds.
At this poijnt I fully agree. Only went with it for the pinpoint accuracy I was getting but then again I did leave it out in a light rain last year. Functioned great after dried but looks like it messed it up in the long run haha. yea with the taylor kit its stupid quick and easy.

Yeah, I have the pH meter too. Never use it. Not worth the hassle and I can do pH test in about 15 seconds.
OMG is this actually working now!! back up to my target PH already and dropped about 20PPM TA overnight. I'm sitting at about 110PPM TA vs my start 140PPM. The chemistry feels like its starting to finally swing more vs staying too stable. I'll add muriatic this AM to drop my PH back down to 7.0 and see if I can bring her down in range to add borax!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.