ja3372

Jun 6, 2019
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have read about intex pools having a valve of some sort on the return to aerate the water to raise ph without raising the alkalinity. In the past I aim my jet upward during the week to agitate the water and raise ph to keep it up to par and lower it on the weekends. Well our house has become the new hotspot for the kids and this summer the pool will probably be getting a lot of use. I need to replace my return jet anyway since gaskets are cracked what can I do to aerate the water coming in without aiming the jet up. Thank you.

Aeration just increases the speed at which PH will rise. Without aeration, PH will still rise if out of equilibrium, just slower than it would with aeration. It will rise even faster with kids in the pool so I wouldn't worry about it.

i struggle with alkalinity rising in my pool but ph stays steady so i need that rise for when i add acid
Not sure what you think your issues are but looking at your logs, TA is 100 ppm while PH is 8.0. You have plenty of room to lower PH if needed. However, in that type of pool, why are you concerned at all about a TA of 100 ppm? Or are those logs for something else?

Also, are you aware that when using TriChlor pucks, those lower both PH and TA because they are acidic?

Last edited:
you may be looking at my spa logs, pool doesn't open until memorial day thanks to the cold nights of the northeast. The beginning of my season is when i struggle with alkalinity. I have to add about 3 feet to my pools its a slow fill with my well. My well water has a consistent ph of about 7.4-7.6 but the alkalinity is around 300

So are you concerned about the heater and/or tile scaling or something else? The vinyl pool is fairly tolerant to large swings in PH/TA/CH.

What is your CH level?

By itself, high TA is not an issue but if you have high CH, TA and PH, then CSI can be above 0 and scaling is definitely an issue. However, there are other ways to handle scaling besides a time consuming process of lowering TA/PH and aerating for PH rise, repeat...

We have chronically high CH, TA & PH fill water. So if I did nothing, my levels would be in the same ballpark. If I were to do what you are doing, it would be a never ending battle so I chose a different approach that has worked very well for me.

What I did is install an acid feeder that constantly adds acid at low doses during run time and I target a CSI of between -0.6 to -0.3. I don't get overly concerned about the absolute levels of PH/TA/CH unless PH gets below 7.2 although I still monitor them for large swings. By controlling CSI, indirectly you are controlling both PH & TA.