Advise on Cartridge Filter

Apr 30, 2017
Elkhart, IN
Despite what my signature says I haven't bought the Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, yet. I know I want to get a cartridge filter and plan on ordering tonight. Are there any other filters that anyone would recomend that would work with my pump and pool size? Is the 420 a good size for my pool size and pump?

FPT,

I have the Pentair 520 and it works fine for me.. But, my first question is why are you changing from a sand filter??

I ask only because it matters on what you are trying to accomplish.

Is the sand filter not working for you or do you expect something different from the CCP 420?

Thanks,

Jim R.

FPT,

Whatever you want is fine with me, but backwashing is much easier than cleaning cartridges.

When you backwash you don't get wet and you can do it even when it is a little chilly out. Not so with cleaning cartridges.

If you are having to backwash often, then that sounds more like a chemical issue than a filter issue.

If your sand filter gets dirty fast, then a cartridge will get dirty faster, unless you current filter is very small.

I have a variable speed pump so my filter pressure is only two or three pounds. This allows me to clean it in the spring, when warm enough and in the fall, before it gets too cold.

It takes me about two hours to clean the filters, including disassemble and reassembly..

Thanks,

Jim R.

That's a good reason. You passed that test.

Yes the 420 will work fine. However I recommend you go with the 520 for the simple reason that you will have to clean the filters less often and your pressure will stay lower longer. Depending on your level of gunk ending up in the pool you should be able with a large enough filter to get away with cleaning only twice a year. That's what I do and it works fine.

So the 420 will be fine, if you can swing it a 520 would be better. It takes me about 2 hours to clean the filters also but I only do it twice a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.