Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
We recently had our SWG pool started and I am very close to getting water balanced. Current tests (Taylor test kit) results are:
FC: 5.0, pH 7.6, TA 175, CH 300, CYA 50, Salt 3000, BOR 0.
Water is clear. 16.5K Gallon Vinyl pool with hayward sand filter. I plan to add Borates at some point and planning with that end in mind what should I do next.
I have few questions:
1. Does Taylor test kit measure TA or carbonate alkalanity (already accounted for CYA)?
2. I know current TA at 175 is high and need to bring it down to 90. Can I bring it down over the season as I add muriatic acid to lower pH or does group recommend the cycle of lowering pH to 7.2 and aerate to raise pH?
3. Current CYA is at 50 ( I believe it is slightly higher ~55). Should I increase it to 75 but than I have seen recommendation that Borates CYA target is 50 ppm?
4. I plan to use Boric acid (40lbs) to bring pool to 50ppm. Does group recommend adding Borates or not? We have young kids and infants and worried abt toxicity?

Thanks
Ashish

We recently had our SWG pool started and I am very close to getting water balanced. Current tests (Taylor test kit) results are:
FC: 5.0, pH 7.6, TA 175, CH 300, CYA 50, Salt 3000, BOR 0.
Water is clear. 16.5K Gallon Vinyl pool with hayward sand filter. I plan to add Borates at some point and planning with that end in mind what should I do next.
I have few questions:
1. Does Taylor test kit measure TA or carbonate alkalanity (already accounted for CYA)?
Doesn't really matter if you use PoolMath, it takes it into account. Highly recommend pool math!
2. I know current TA at 175 is high and need to bring it down to 90. Can I bring it down over the season as I add muriatic acid to lower pH or does group recommend the cycle of lowering pH to 7.2 and aerate to raise pH?
It will come down as you add MA. If you want to speed the process:
3. Current CYA is at 50 ( I believe it is slightly higher ~55). Should I increase it to 75 but than I have seen recommendation that Borates CYA target is 50 ppm?
For a SWCG, 70 is a great CYA level.
Borates level is not related to CYA, not sure why you put the two together. Borates target is 30-50ppm
Some reading:
4. I plan to use Boric acid (40lbs) to bring pool to 50ppm. Does group recommend adding Borates or not? We have young kids and infants and worried abt toxicity?
The general recommendation is that they are not necessary. If you can manage your TA down significantly enough, you don't need borates to manage pH rise. My pool, without borates, TA of 60, if I raise pH to 7.6, it will return to 7.4 within days! That being said, we like the look and feel of Borates in the pool and maintain 50ppm. Again, not necessary and is an added expense, but we like it.
Thanks
Ashish

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.