Advice on Remodeling a Pool in Tulsa for a Non-Pool Person

We own a house with an in-ground, saltwater pool that was built by the prior homeowner in 2010. The pool is 33,000 gallon, gunite, pebble-tec (or probably knock off pebble-tec) spillover spa, cantilevered pool deck. Unfortunately, the pool appears to have been poorly constructed. Among other issues, the spa is particularly problematic. The spa spillover has exposed mortar on the sides (at least I hope that it is mortar rather than shotcrete) and is beginning to crumble. The spillovers are also positioned so that a lot of the water spills over on to the decking. Additionally, the pool deckingis damaged around the spillover and the skimmer. The concrete is actually crumbling around the skimmer.

Based on these issues, we are going to be forced to do a pool remodel. We are not heavy pool users. My husband likes having a pool, but only uses it maybe twice a year. I despise pools and will never use it. Our kids are grown, but we do not have grandkids yet. Given that we do not use the pool very much, we would like to approach this in the most cost effective way possible. We would like advice regarding (i) the best and most cost effective ways to approach the pool remodel and (ii) any recommendations on pool remodelers in Tulsa. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh my that’s a lot of non pool use. A pool is not for everyone but you bought the property so let’s figure out how to enjoy the water in some way...Perhaps adding a couple of pictures will help get you pointed in the right direction. What is the condition of the water in the pool now? Is it clear, cloudy or heaven forbid green?

We have owned the pool for 5 years now, and it is our second house with a pool. My husband is obsessed with having a pool. I am unsure why. With that said, the water is clear. We take the water to be tested with some degree of frequency, and it is a saltwater pool, so mostly we just add acid to keep the pH in check. I am sure that we could probably do our pool chemistry better, but that is actually not the pressing problem. Due to what appears to be poor pool construction, the 7 year old pool is falling apart and we have to remodel/repair it.

Here are some pictures of the internal structure of the hot tub crumbling.

MVIMG_20180728_084338 (1).jpg

I will attach some more pictures to the next post.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180728_084420 (1).jpg
    MVIMG_20180728_084420 (1).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 125
If that pic is showing the vertical surface of the spa spillover then there should have been tile there. Did you lose the tile or was it never there?

OK, I cannot figure out how to upload more pictures. I think I am at my limit of pictures. But basically, the spa is crumbling and the cantilever pool deck is crumbling. As a result, we are going to start getting quotes to repair replace it and are looking for cost effective options.

For example, we have to at the very least reconfigure the spa because about 25% of the water just spills over onto the pool decking destroying the decking. Would it be a better, more cost effective idea to just remove the spa? Currently, we have a cantilever concrete pool decking. Would it be better and more cost effective to go back with regular coping and different decking? With the exception of our pool decking, the other 1,600 square feet of patio is composed of Belgard pavers, so we considered using those. (Unlike the pool which was installed by the prior homeowner, we installed those.) The pool tile and pebble-tec (at least to our untrained eyes) seem fine. Do you usually have to replace the tile and pebble-tec if you replace the coping, reconfigure the hot tub? I think pebble-tec can generally be patched.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the vertical structure is the part that is crumbling. There was never tile there. We recognize that it needs something there and that it was not a good idea. (We are not planning on using the pool builder that the prior homeowner used for this and many reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

I would see about concrete patching smooth and then tiling the spillover surfaces that are getting the water erosion.

I think your options are going to be dictated by what your local pool builders say they can do.

Off the top of my head and without seeing any more pictures, I would think removing the spill over portion of the spa and making that area solid wall covered in tile would fix the problem of water spilling over onto the deck. There would need to be changes to the plumbing as well.

We have only gotten one quote so far. They indicated concrete patching was not an option, and that we would need to replace the coping, decking, tile, rebuild lots of the spa, and pay a minimum of about $30,000.

This seemed excessive, but we have never had to do any work to a pool structure before. We have only replaced the working pieces (e.g., pumps, heaters, filters, salt cells).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dont see how it would be more cost effective to remove the spa versus some stone and tile work to replace the two spillovers on the sides with one in the middle.

For the deck rebuild you need to see what builders quote you. Demo and prep work can be a lot of the cost.

We have only gotten one quote so far. They indicated concrete patching was not an option, and that we would need to replace the coping, decking, tile, rebuild lots of the spa, and pay a minimum of about $30,000.

This seemed excessive, but we have never had to do any work to a pool structure before. We have only replaced the working pieces (e.g., pumps, heaters, filters, salt cells).

I think you are seeing this type of rebuild takes more effort for a builder then a clean new pool build. Some builders are better equipped to do the demo and prep work then others. And they can never be sure how deep the problems go until they dig into the job.

Look at this rebuild job A look back at my pool rebuild

ajw22,

Your rebuild looks like it turned out very lovely, and that it was a lot of work. I hope that it brings you a lot of joy and happy times.

My thoughts were that removing the spa might be a cost savings long-term. None of us has ever used it. (We have a freestanding hot tub as well that my husband perceives as more therapeutic. Honestly, I do not use any of it) It makes buying a cover challenging (at least according to the quotes that we have received), so we run the pool all year long. It also seems like it is more stuff to break. If we have to pay $30k to chip out the pool deck and replace it, this will be our one chance to redo any plumbing, etc. As a result, if it would be more cost effective to get rid of it long-term, I might be willing to chuck in extra to get rid of it.

We recognize this will be expensive, but are just trying to make the best decisions about how to spend the money for long term cost effectiveness and so we hopefully do not have to spend the money again in 7 years. (Unless, you all really feel we could get by with some less expensive fix.)

Thanks,

Allie

Having the spa does not cost you anything additional in long term Pool operating costs once you get the spillover fixed.

I think removing the spa will cost significantly more than fixing the spillover. Removing the spa would basically require a new pool build.

Pool cover with a spa is not a big problem. I have a solid winter Meyco cover. My raised spa has a seperate cover that goes over it.

The quotes for pool cover without covering the spa were $5k to $6k. I am probably just bitter about spa because the heater caught fire this year, and that is another $5k on top of everything else. Plus, I read that pool heaters only have like a 5 year life, so it seems like a lot to pay for something unused. Plus, they only paid like $40k when they put it in. Pretty soon, it seems like it is going to be cheaper to rebuild entirely at this rate,

Thats about the cost for a quality pool cover. The added piece for the raised spa does not add a lot to the cost.

You are dealing with a poorly built and neglected pool that needs some investment. You can front load all the expense and do one major rebuild or you can fix things as they come up. I think either way will cost you about the same long term.

A pool lives in a harsh outdoor environment and needs maintenance every year.

Thank you for your perspective. We agree that the pool was poorly built. We have spent thousands on pool maintenance over the past few years, so we disagree with the perspective that it has been poorly maintained.

I mean poorly maintained before you bought it. Which is why you have spent thousands once you got it. Heaters and pumps can last 5 to 10 years or more. A lot about a pools maintenance cost depends on it's environment.

Do you know who built your pool? I had mine redone a few years ago (tile, coping, new plaster, bonding, drainage) by the son of a local builder. He did a good job but was slow since it was a side job. The problem is that it is difficult to get contractors interested in "smaller" rebuild jobs as they would rather do new builds. I'll look up his name and contact info and pm you.

We do know who built the pool. I hesitate to call them out on a public forum. Plus, they may have switched ownership since they did the install.

You are very right. It is hard to get people to call you back. We hope by calling at the end of the season and being willing to do the work over the fall/winter will help.

We received one quote a little little while back from a vendor that ended up having some bankruptcy issues, so that made us a little nervous. We took a little time before getting more quotes.

So far, we have estimates scheduled with Engineered Concrete Systems and Blue Water pools here in Jenks. We have reached out to Raley’s and Fiesta, but have not gotten calls back.

If if you have a good pool remodeler, we would love to contact him.

Thanks,

Allie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.