Advice on Pump that ran dry for hours

czipper

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2014
Long Island, NY
My pump (Pentair variable speed) ran dry for a couple hours because of something mindless I did. It still works apparently, but I want to say its a bit louder than before (more whiny). What exactly should I be aware of going forward with this pump? I'll be closing up the pool in a couple weeks, there will be a good chance to work on the pump then if there is something I can replace inside to undue any damage I may have done.
Thanks

It has been my experience that a motor which begins to "whine" is usually bearings beginning to fail. Others might know if something such as a pump shaft seal failing can create the same sound. Bearings can be replaced if you can find them and have some experience with tearing down a motor, or by a local motor repair shop.

On a side note, I had my pump run dry, for who knows how long, and it warped my filter basket housing, so the lid and o-ring no longer sealed properly. Had to replace the entire assembly. Check to make sure nothing is leaking there.

Good Luck !!!

No leaks it seems, thanks for your input. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

- - - Updated - - -

No grinding, it has been running now for a couple weeks so at this point I'll just go with it. Hopefully I will be in the run several years category. Thanks for your input

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.