Advice on pool heaters

Apr 18, 2024
Alabama
We have a new 25000 gallon lagoon pool with salt water chlorinator. I have 2 questions. What size natural gas heater do we need is question number one. Is 266k btu enough? Question two is what type of heat exchanger? I've read that we need a Cupro-Nickel heat exchanger and I've also read that copper is fine and it doesn't matter about the heat exchanger just the ph of the water. Please give advice as we are new pool owners and this all so new to us.

We have a new 25000 gallon lagoon pool with salt water chlorinator. I have 2 questions. What size natural gas heater do we need is question number one. Is 266k btu enough?

A 266K BTU heater will heat your pool one degree per hour. But whenever the pool is warm, it will of course be losing heat to its surroundings. So the net effect of the heater will be to heat the pool by some amount less than 1 degree per hour.

A 400K BTU heater will heat the pool 50% faster.

They will both burn basically the same amount of natural gas to heat the pool and keep it at your desired temperature, so one isn't more expensive than the other to run -- the only extra expense is at the initial purchase.

A 266K BTU heater will heat your pool one degree per hour. But whenever the pool is warm, it will of course be losing heat to its surroundings. So the net effect of the heater will be to heat the pool by some amount less than 1 degree per hour.

A 400K BTU heater will heat the pool 50% faster.

They will both burn basically the same amount of natural gas to heat the pool and keep it at your desired temperature, so one isn't more expensive than the other to run -- the only extra expense is at the initial purchase.
Thanks. What is your opinion on the heat exchanger? I'm leaning towards the Cupro-Nickel but if it really doesn't matter I would buy the copper to save some money.