Jul 6, 2019
Goose Creek, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Happy Spring everyone!
My pool was opened green this year and I have been attempting to SLAM it, but not at 100%. Now I'm rethinking things and would love advice. I'm having spine surgery on April 25 and due to the issues leading to the surgery, I haven't been able to work at clearing the pool like I wanted. I've been backwashing and brushing once per day and testing and adding chemicals twice per day with minimal results after several days of this. If I can't commit any more than 3-4 times max for the next 10 days-2 weeks, am I going to get this thing clear? I just don't want to waste the time and chemicals if it's not possible. My son can help maintain once it's clear. I'm trying to remember how to attach my most recent test results. I'm also not sure if my signature is still there with my pool specs.

------------------------------------------
Chemical Addition 04-12-2023 @ 05:07 PM
+ 75 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 04-12-2023 @ 04:58 PM
Free Chlorine: 9.5
pH: 7.8
CYA: 35
CSI: -1.00

Chemical Addition 04-12-2023 @ 11:32 AM
+ 133 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 04-12-2023 @ 11:17 AM
Free Chlorine: 8.0
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 50
CYA: 40
CSI: -1.31

Chemical Addition 04-11-2023 @ 07:20 PM
+ 150 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 04-11-2023 @ 07:19 PM
+ 150 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 04-11-2023 @ 07:15 PM
+ 7.4 Ounces of DryAcid

Test Results 04-11-2023 @ 07:06 PM
Free Chlorine: 7.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.9
Total Alkalinity: 50
CYA: 40
CSI: -0.95

Chemical Addition 04-11-2023 @ 11:57 AM
+ 8.7 Ounces of DryStabilizer

Chemical Addition 04-11-2023 @ 11:42 AM
+ 61 Ounces of BakingSoda

Test Results 04-11-2023 @ 11:00 AM
Free Chlorine: 5.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 30
CYA: 35
CSI: -1.60

Chemical Addition 04-10-2023 @ 03:01 PM
+ 9.3 Ounces of DryAcid

Test Results 04-10-2023 @ 02:45 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 8.2
Total Alkalinity: 30
CYA: 25
CSI: -0.86

am I going to get this thing clear?
Unfortunately it needs what it needs and not being able to commit more time to it will extend the SLAM. You won't necessarily be losing any ground with the FC above minimum, but you might not make many great strides either.

It is what it is and you have to take care of you first. :)

The most important part to a speedy slam is maintaining the FC. If you can commit 1 day of checking it every 2 to 3 hours, it's usually holding 6 or more hours on day 2. By day three of properly maintaining its usually cloudy/milky and the fc loss is minimal for the remainder. The milky stage is much easier on you because with the FC holding well, it's really only brushing and backwashing when needed. You still keep the FC up, but it doesn't require much.

Can you get your son to help turbo charge the first part getting over the hump ?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I may start back hard in a few days when I can actually get it it like that every 2-3 hours. Unfortunately, my son isn't great at the scrubbing and stuff that comes at the beginning- especially when he can't see the bottom. He doesn't better with getting water samples and just adding what I ask him to add.

Reactions: Newdude
He does better with getting water samples and just adding what I ask him to add
That will help PLENTY. And you can divvy it up to make it easier on both of you. Plus, you can always add early to buy yourself the next couple hours away.

Btw - you don’t need to test anything but fc & cc during slam. You Lower ph to 7.2 before you begin/while fc is below 10ppm & let it ride for the duration of the slam.
Count your cya as 40 (cuz there’s no inbetweens) so slam level is 16ppm. Adding stabilizer just increases your fc level needed for slam so don’t add any more.
Hopefully you can find a way to get it done that works for you. The more often you replenish slam level the faster it goes. Brushing or vacuuming once a day is fine.
If you have organic debris (leaves etc) get as much out as possible as it is just consuming your fc.
Doing 2 a day doses is helping stave off the monster so keep that up until you can really hit it. If you can squeeze in a third or fourth dose that would be great too.
You have an above ground pool so I assume you have steps or a ladder- you’re going to wanna remove those as they are known algae hotels & funky steps will really consume the fc. Give it a good scrub with bleach inside & out - anywhere water can go algae can live. Don’t put them back in until you’re done with slam & they are clean as a whistle. Good luck with the pool & your surgery!

Btw - you don’t need to test anything but fc & cc during slam. You Lower ph to 7.2 before you begin/while fc is below 10ppm & let it ride for the duration of the slam.
Count your cya as 40 (cuz there’s no inbetweens) so slam level is 16ppm. Adding stabilizer just increases your fc level needed for slam so don’t add any more.
Hopefully you can find a way to get it done that works for you. The more often you replenish slam level the faster it goes. Brushing or vacuuming once a day is fine.
If you have organic debris (leaves etc) get as much out as possible as it is just consuming your fc.
Doing 2 a day doses is helping stave off the monster so keep that up until you can really hit it. If you can squeeze in a third or fourth dose that would be great too.
You have an above ground pool so I assume you have steps or a ladder- you’re going to wanna remove those as they are known algae hotels & funky steps will really consume the fc. Give it a good scrub with bleach inside & out - anywhere water can go algae can live. Don’t put them back in until you’re done with slam & they are clean as a whistle. Good luck with the pool & your surgery!

That will help PLENTY. And you can divvy it up to make it easier on both of you. Plus, you can always add early to buy yourself the next couple hours away.
Thank you. I hadn't considered doing it a little early but that would probably help a lot when I have to leave for several hours during prime SLAM time.
That's very helpful. I've done this for a few years, but I feel like I have been struggling to remember all the details.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you. I hadn't considered doing it a little early but that would probably help a lot when I have to leave for several hours during prime SLAM time.

That's very helpful. I've done this for a few years, but I feel like I have been struggling to remember all the details.
Any suggestions for getting to the middle of a 24 foot round when your pool isn't long enough? All the really long poles are super expensive. I thought of using gorilla tape to put two poles together, but not sure if it will work. I'm short, I have short arms and I can't bend and reach as well as normal because of my back.

I seriously have to get in to do a good job.
My pool is 33’ round. I have this pole & it reaches the middle even if it is a little wobbly once fully extended.
I am sure they sell them other places- I happened to get mine with my pool. It’s 5 yrs old

I have taped 2 poles together more times than I can count. (y)
Question - I started testing and consistently doing SLAM on Saturday afternoon. I have been vacuuming, brushing, backwashing the pool, testing and adding chlorine as needed every 3-4 hours and the water looks exactly the same. What am I missing? The pH was 7.2 early yesterday morning like you suggested. This morning, I had not lost any chlorine from last night. In fact, it was somehow a bit high. Am I missing something? I seems like in the past, it typically started to look better by now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
but it's definitely a cloudy dark green.
The testing says you have killed or mostly killed the algae. Maybe the water is actually milky/cloudy *and* the elevated FC is reacting with metals to cause it to also be green. So you basically swapped one cloudy green for a cloudy and green. Keep the FC up and be patient while the filter does it's thing. I suspect the water will get less cloudy and stay green.

No 2 are the same. :( Be patient. Stay the course. If the FC keeps holding well, that's less for you to do. (y)

Good morning. The FC was down by 2 this morning from last night, but still not visual improvements. When I backwashed the pool, the bubble didn't even get cloudy this morning. I'm so confused. I typically run my pump 24/7. Should I run it less to see if anything settles? I'll try include a picture. The sun makes the green look lighter, but the visibility is the same.

20230418_103819.jpg

Also- have you now, or in the past added algaecides, anything with blue in the name, pool store potions 🧪 etc?
Have you ever deep cleaned your sand filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.