Advice on draining Pool

I'll chime in here with my recent experience. High CYA, about 220 to 240, full sun, 100+ degree weather, PebbleTec finish. Completed a successful half drain a few weeks ago and had to babysit the walls as they dried out. Now CYA is at 120, still high, but manageable until fall when I can take it down halfway again. We did a slow drain (per local water company preference) and a comparatively fast refill. Went smoothly and other than having to babysit the pool, it was actually nice. Just my recent experience. Yours may vary.. :)

You can get around the plaster exposure to sun problem, by PARTIALLY draining down ONLY to just about 1 foot below
the return jets. (winterize levels). I and many others here favor partial draining as there is little to no chance of popping.

Only do this starting when the sun is going down, start refilling while it is draining on the other side of
the pool. If you have overcast/cloudy days ahead you could do it during the day.

it's probable that your water level will be back up to the line by the morning.
at least it was on my pool volume of 23,000 gallons.

I don't have the greatest water pressure either.

I had to do this 3 times to get from a CYA level of 300+ to around 90, undilluted.

Maybe it's just me, but, draining a pool in the summer with it being so hot with full sunlight might not be the best idea. I would probably wait until until November so you don't have to baby sit the plaster. Good luck

What does babysitting the plaster mean?

I'm just going off of the advice from others in the forum that I need to do this or I won't have any chlorine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get around the plaster exposure to sun problem, by PARTIALLY draining down ONLY to just about 1 foot below
the return jets. (winterize levels). I and many others here favor partial draining as there is little to no chance of popping.

Only do this starting when the sun is going down, start refilling while it is draining on the other side of
the pool. If you have overcast/cloudy days ahead you could do it during the day.

I don't have the greatest water pressure either.

Why when the sun is going down?

Does a pool that is built like mine (mostly above ground) still have a chance of popping?

What is plaster exposure to sun?

Thanks. Going back to my original questions because the drain is in progress currently in the shade onto the lawn......they are very relevant in my life at the moment. Lol.

I have the valve sucking from the main drain only not the skimmer. Hoses are attached to the filter valve. I have not changed the valve on the chlorinator. Pump sound has changed but flowing water through the discharge hoses. Should I be concerned or is it that the back pressure has changed?

Also, are the return jets are still shooting water into the pool. Is there a shutoff for those. See pic in first post. Thanks in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Matt, I am also in San Antonio. What part of town do you live? Water table is not an issue in most areas. I live south of town and it is 25 plus before you hit water. People north of town usually have to go 150 plus for well water. I would be surprised if your hose bibs are plumbed to water softener. Unless the owner specifically did one for the pool. Test the CH for the one nearest pool.

Hey Jagger. I'm North. Off of 1000 Oaks. My only option for water is the one closest to the pool at this stage. I'm about halfway through the drain with those cheap back wash hoses blowing out on me. I'm watering the lawn. Hope it doesn't kill it. Lol.

Wow. That would have been nice. I looked up what the pump would do and though this would go quicker. If I put the valve on full backwash side it blows or splits the hoses. I've been mending them and buying new ones.

Did not realize you could backwash with cartridge- my only knowledge is from this web site and my memory is not great. How much are you draining? The 100 degree heat might be a concern with the plaster exposed

It really isn't "backwashing" I guess. Just the outflow valve off of the filter. I just moved in about a month ago. I guess this is the only way to bring down 200 CYA. AS soon as it is done draining I am going to start filling tonight. No ideas how long the fill will take. I will set an alarm to wake me up when the sun starts hitting it so I can keep water on the plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.