Advice on a few new parts

Update: pool pump just died a catastrophic death. Made terrible noises for about 30 seconds before I was able to cut power, at which point it ground to a stop. Just hums now, and doesn't have enough to overcome and move again. Glad I ordered a new one this morning, although guess i gotta manually stir in some bleach for a few days to keep water from getting worse...

Was hoping it could limp along another few days. Hoping inyopools ships quickly! Salt cell was only 3 days from order to arrival, so hopeful that that's still true :)

Last edited:
Inyopools looks like they are coming through on a quick shipment, it went out same day, and should be here Wednesday night (from a monday 1130 purchase). Also managed to get the old pump removed from the loop, although the 'quick disconnect' fittings took some wrenching, not having been removed in at least a decade I'd guess. All set to be reused, no damage noted.

Only issue I had was the 90 degree elbow to bring the electrical into the pump is pretty much shot. Corroded to the point where that nut on the inside is unlike to ever move again, even if I can dig it out enough to attempt to loosen it. Looks like I can go pick up any 1/2" liquidtight fitting to work onto the 1/2 flex conduit I have, so no real issue there.

Maybe a dumb question, but... Any use (or is it legal to use) any sort of quick-disconnect inline fitting for the electrical? Should be bringing in the new pump for the winters, I've decided, but the electrical is just that much more of a pain to unwire, so wondering if it's a bad idea/code violation to find some sort of waterproof pair of mating connectors so I can twist/unplug, leaving the pump wired to a pigtail and the rest still hardwired to the panel. Not married to the idea, and not happening right away, just curious if it's even legit to do so, and if so, what people have done. No outlet/normal plug setup nearby, it's hard wired right into the pool automation sub-panel.

Nothing is illegal per se but of course there are codes. You can choose not to follow them. I know there are pumps that are plugged in, which is a quick disconnect. Having a disconnect I wouldn't think would be a big deal and if I wanted to go that route I wouldn't lose any sleep over doing it myself. Perhaps an outdoor rated junction box where you would connect and disconnect the motor wires as needed.

Reactions: Scout101
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.