Advice needed...

lungs414

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2012
Eastern Long Island,New York
I have a 20 x 40 IG. Had a huge problem with a liner repair the year before. That was finally cleared up and last year we enjoyed a trouble free pool. I have 2 Blue Latham roman stairs installed on opposite short sides. The pool was built in 2006 and never had any real problems at all until the liner change, that I mentioned. The blue stairs were faded below the water line and when I contacted Latham they suggested refinishing them with epoxy paint. They even recommended a specific product. Their tech support guy spoke to me and told me what to do and I followed his instructions to the letter. I used prepped both surfaces and used the recommended primer and top coat. (Olympic Zeron Epoxy Pool Coating 1 gallon)
Fast forward to the end of last year, and it seems to have faded more than I
thought it would, but is not peeling or cracking at all.
My issues now are the bullnose brick needs repairing. A few bullnose bricks are cracked and need replacing along with the mortar joints not being great. I am very handy and was able to remove most of the joints by grinding, chipping and a lot of time consuming work. The crew I hired to replace it was terrible. I stopped them when they got a quarter way done. I found out that I cant find replacement for the bull nose brick, and some others are showing their age with a lot of aggregate showing. It seems the original mason who did a great job on it, used portland to set the bricks and mortar as a grout. Removal is very difficult, and I am afraid of damaging the pool as an electric hammer chipper will be needed to remove.

Questions:
-If I want to change the bullnose, can I have the steps replaced without having to replace the year old old liner?
-If I do that I am committed to replacing the bullnose, If the top of the pool gets some damage would that be a bond beam? and can that be replace/repaired.
I don't know about the process necessary to replacing bullnose coping and looking for info on that.

My pool deck is Nicoloc OLD TOWNE in adobe color.

thanks for any help
Rich

Hey Lungs and welcome back !! This Sucks because it was all looking so good last year. @jimmythegreek usually has great input for these type scenarios. I would guess the pool wall would all have to be ground down like you did with the grinder instead of a jackhammer.

I do remember them cutting the underside of alot of my bullnose with the grinder to make up for irregularities in the top of the pool wall. The brick like stone was probably softer than the cement so it might be easier to shave the new bullnoses and then set them in place with construction adhesive.

Pics would help peoples ideas flow also. Once the incoming snow melts maybe.

Why replace the stairs? No need to

Doing bullsone repair makes a huge mess in the pool. You basically get 2 out amd you hit it sideways to pop them. Depends alot on what base they have under them. Sharp masonry can puncture a liner. The time would have been before the swap. Theres ways to work around that though

I spent 4 days removing the mortar, what a PIA. I basically used the grinder to make a cut in the mortar and then a sharp chisel to where the mortar met each brick and the mortar mostly came out. The problem is I can't get anymore of the bullnose as multiple suppliers say they don't make these anymore.
My thoughts are if I have to go through the expense and trouble replacing the bullnose which runs over the steps maybe I should consider changing the steps. Since it maybe over 12 years until the liner needs replacement again. They faded more than I thought they would and don't look so great. Pool is obviously covered now and just trying to get a smart game plan for March and April to have it done.
Would the liner have to be changed again if I decide on changing the steps? They would be an exact replacement.

Thanks again for advice.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.