Advice needed: Purchasing new heater

batesjer

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 26, 2019
East Lansing michigan
So I'm trying to buy a new furnace. I have a contractor who gave me a price on a Hayward 250,000 btu natural gas heater + install but I can get the furnace for cheaper online and pay him to install it. I found the heater I want on "Pool Supplies Unlimited" for $1600, problem is the sales rep on the phone says Hayward doesn't warranty the product if its purchased online. Anyone know if this is true or BS? I could call Hayward I suppose, I reached out to authorized dealers near me as well although I'm sure I'm going to pay closer to $2000 for the same unit.

So if I want the heater warrantied I need to purchase it inside a brick and mortar store? This is what the sales rep told me, it just seems odd so I wanted to verify it and figured I'd check in here. In that case I'll start shopping authorized dealers around me a little bit harder.

It is best if you get the warranty details direct from Hayward. They keep on changing it and right now don’t have anything clearly posted on their website. Hayward has gone through a bunch of corporate changes lately.

Last edited:
Thanks @ajw22. I think that's the 2nd time in a week that you've corrected something I've said. Maybe I should go back into lurking mode.

@batesjer, I think it's fair to ask the sales rep to show you those terms in writing. If they exist, it should be an easy task. If they cannot, you may want to consider shopping elsewhere anyways. Specifically for the Raypak heater I just purchased, it says nothing about online restrictions. It says 120 day warranty from production date OR 2 year warranty from install date if done by a "properly licensed installer" (I need to figure out EXACTLY what that means).

Lots of folks here are happy with Ray-Pak heaters.

Thanks for the help and advice. Hayward did get back to me and they are changing their warranty policy for online purchases soon but those are not in effect at this time.

Changing them in what way? Changing them so they WILL warranty them, or changing it so they won't? Genuinely curious since I expect our heater will probably be replaced in the next couple years and I would probably order one online. I don't have my mind set on brand, but if there is a brand that does cover online purchases I would lean towards that one.

This is what I was sent. I'm not sure it addresses your question. When I initially asked whether their products were warrantied when ordered online I was asked to provide the specific unit. So I'm not sure what is covered and what isn't covered. Edit - I read it to mean they won't be covering online purchases in the future but different can mean, well different things.

Dear Mr. Bates,

There are new terms that will be taking effect
soon. Items purchased online will have different warranty terms.
These are not in effect at this time.

Currently, the H250FDN
carries a 1 year parts and labor standard warranty. With professional
installation, the unit does get a 2 year parts and 1 year labor
warranty. If purchased from and installed by a Totally Hayward
dealer, the unit gets a 3 year parts and labor warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.